Old January 13th 08, 09:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default nice Philco, forgot pore filler and toning when refinished

At least I think that's what happened. I found the cabinet of this console
quite attractive, and newer looking than it had a right to be for its age
and the way it was displayed, all jammed into a corner. Sure enough, when I
took a close-up of the dial with the flash, it showed that the person doing
the refinishing hadn't filled the wood's pores.

I believe that even with this nice a wood used in the cabinet's
construction, a very light toner sprayed on would have blended the different
panels beautifully, without losing the grain patterns.

Attached Thumbnails
nice Philco, forgot pore filler and toning when refinished-philco-dial.jpg
Old January 15th 08, 03:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Buck Frobisher" wrote in message
At least I think that's what happened. I found the cabinet of this
console quite attractive, and newer looking than it had a right to be for
its age and the way it was displayed, all jammed into a corner. Sure
enough, when I took a close-up of the dial with the flash, it showed that
the person doing the refinishing hadn't filled the wood's pores.

I believe that even with this nice a wood used in the cabinet's
construction, a very light toner sprayed on would have blended the
different panels beautifully, without losing the grain patterns.

A photo flash seems to exagerate many problems.

I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to add grain filler now, followed by
toner
and a few light finish lacquer coats.

Pete

Old January 16th 08, 09:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to add grain filler now, followed by
toner
and a few light finish lacquer coats.

In rec.antiques.radio+phono, there was a recent conversation about a clear
wood filler (Crystalac). See "Wood Grain Filler" from Jan. 13th.

One guy claims that it works well, although he hasn't used it over an
existing finish, as you're thinking.

Might be worth experimenting, although if it took multiple tries & lots of
fiddling, it may be simpler to remove this finish and start over.

Phil Nelson