Old January 26th 08, 08:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default Odd stub wire in Zenith

I have just started restoration of a Zenith "Universal" 6G601M [S/N T556876]
and have noted two odd things about the almost untouched chassis.

1. there is a sleeved wire coming from the grid of the 3Q5 output tube and
laying across the socket of the 117Z6 rectifier, but not connected at the
far end. According to the schematic and common sense, this wire serves no
purpose, but is clearly factory original. In photo see it coming from the
tag just behind the 2.2meg resistor and across the socket and ending over
the grey wire. Since the grid impedance is almost a megohm, one might think
it would pick up hum.

2. The orientation of the sockets for the 1LN4 IF and 1LH4 detector/1st
audio are substantially different than that shown in the Riders schematic
[Zenith Page 13-17] and the pin numbers are not shown on the schematic, only
the function callout on the socket voltage diagram. I have not noticed this
sort of error before.

Neil S.

Old January 26th 08, 09:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Ken Ken is offline

Neil S wrote:
[...]

Are C9 and R6 in the circuit? Ken
Old January 26th 08, 11:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Yes, R6 is the 2.2meg resistor shown and C9 is the paper cap in the top left
with it's sleeved lead sloping down to the same tag. It is interesting that
the C9 lead and the 'odd' wire are of equal length.

Neil S.

Old January 27th 08, 02:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Unrevealed Source"
wrote in message ...

http://www.the-s38-guy.com/Page_63.html

So this wire is, basically, a "gimmick".

Old January 27th 08, 02:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Unrevealed Source"
wrote in message ...

http://www.the-s38-guy.com/Page_63.html

So this wire is, basically, a "gimmick".

Yep..

I wondered what that odd wire in this Hallies on the bench was.
Now I know! Maybe I should double-check CW mode. ;-)
Old January 28th 08, 12:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Unrevealed Source" wrote in message
This this out:

http://www.the-s38-guy.com/Page_63.html

Thanks for the post

Paul P.

Old January 28th 08, 08:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

There is a wire like that in the Hallicrafter s-40 series. Its purpose
is a small value capacitor. Instead of useing a real cap they just lay
or twist a small length of wire up to get the required capacitance.

Old January 28th 08, 09:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default Odd stub wire in Zenith and Line Caps

The mystery was resolved when I removed the paper cap C9 and discovered it
was a replacement, done back around the late '40s or so, with a cap not
unlike the ones Zenith used. The job was very well done, except that the
sleeved lead he clipped off at the old cap body was left behind. That also
explains why the sleeved 'stub' is exactly as long as the capacitor lead
above.
While I was restuffing the caps, I found that the 'across the line' cap C6
had failed and the lead spiral had been dislodged from the capacitor roll
and some arcing had taken place. It undoubtedly would have gone 'pop' when
it happened. The cap is certainly different from the 'normal' paper caps
used and is marked as 0.05uF 400VDC and has a different stock number than
called in the parts list.

Neil S.

1. there is a sleeved wire coming from the grid of the 3Q5 output tube
and laying across the socket of the 117Z6 rectifier, but not connected
at
the far end. According to the schematic and common sense, this wire
serves no purpose, but is clearly factory original. In photo see it
coming from the tag just behind the 2.2meg resistor and across the
socket
and ending over the grey wire. Since the grid impedance is almost a
megohm, one might think it would pick up hum.

Neil S.

Are C9 and R6 in the circuit? Ken

Attached Thumbnails
Odd stub wire in Zenith-line-cap-1.jpg  Odd stub wire in Zenith-line-cap-2.jpg
Old January 28th 08, 11:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 14:10:42 -0500, spasiba
wrote:

There is a wire like that in the Hallicrafter s-40 series. Its purpose
is a small value capacitor. Instead of useing a real cap they just lay
or twist a small length of wire up to get the required capacitance.

1. there is a sleeved wire coming from the grid of the 3Q5 output tube and
laying across the socket of the 117Z6 rectifier, but not connected at the

Yes these "gimmick" capacitors are used extensively in radios, but in
this case, why have this capacitance from the grid of the audio output
to the rectifier ?

Peter Dettmann

Transformer Wire = Magnet Wire as a a Light-Weight Antenna Wire {Hidden] Stealth Antenna RHF Shortwave 1 June 1st 06 09:47 AM
What is a 'stub' bbnn Antenna 6 January 3rd 05 03:50 PM
Whazza stub? Butch Antenna 0 January 3rd 05 03:55 AM
-WANTED- Wire Measurer -or- Wire Meter -or- Wire counter Bill Hansen Swap 0 August 21st 04 11:47 PM
WANTED:: Wire Measurer -or- Wire Meter -or- Wire Counter . Bill Hansen General 0 August 21st 04 11:45 PM