FM antenna improvement

Old April 8th 08, 10:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Sanjaya[_4_]

Default FM antenna improvement

I tried this yesterday afternoon and this morning and was pretty impressed
with the difference it made in FM reception.
Previously unheard stations have started showing up for me.
Anyone interested in FM stuff might want to try this nifty and
inexpensive antenna setup (adapable I'm sure for your specific requirements)

My radio is a Tecsun BCL 2000 with PAL FM antenna connection, so
I needed the second item below. The whole setup cost me $19 with tax.

Parts needed:
Radio Shack Catalog #15-1874
Budget TV Antenna $13.00
(comes with 4 foot coax and F-connector)

Radio Shack Catalog #278-265
European TV Adapter $4.50
(Female F to Female PAL)
Universal-radio.com has it cheaper

30 seconds to put it together and voila... immediately found a
station that I hadn't heard before. I tested it by unhooking the coax.
The station disappeared. Put antenna back in and there it was again.

Old April 9th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

On Apr 8, 2:43*am, "Sanjaya" wrote:
-
- I tried this yesterday afternoon and this morning and was
- pretty impressed with the difference it made in FM reception.
- Previously unheard stations have started showing up for me.
- Anyone interested in FM stuff might want to try this nifty
- and inexpensive antenna setup (adapable I'm sure for your
- specific requirements)
-
- My radio is a Tecsun BCL 2000 with PAL FM antenna
- connection, so I needed the second item below. The whole
- setup cost me $19 with tax.
-
- Parts needed:
- Radio Shack Catalog #15-1874
- Budget TV Antenna $13.00
- (comes with 4 foot coax and F-connector)
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2103077&cp

-
- Radio Shack Catalog #278-265
- European TV Adapter $4.50
- (Female F to Female PAL)
http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...Id=&kw=278-265

- Universal-radio.com has it cheaper
-
- 30 seconds to put it together and voila... immediately found
- a station that I hadn't heard before. I tested it by unhooking
- the coax. The station disappeared. Put antenna back in and
- there it was again.

Sanjaya,

You simply substituted the Radio's 1/4WL Whip Antenna
for an FM 1/2WL Dipole Antenna giving you more Gain and
Directionality {Horizontal} and less Noise {Balanced}.

Whip Antenna - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whip_antenna

Dipole Antenna - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole_antenna

Read - A Discussion of Antenna Theory
-by- Paul Graham [K9ERG]
http://k9erg.tripod.com/theory.htm

Review - Antenna Basics -by- Scott @ SE
http://www.signalengineering.com/ult...na_basics.html

All-Things-RF-Antennas
http://www.educypedia.be/electronics/antennas.htm
-by- EDUCYPEDIA - The Educational Encyclopedia

FM Radio Reception Tips for FM and FM-Stereo
http://www.ccrane.com/library/fm-rec....11.12.01.aspx
-by- J. Carlos Perez - C.Crane Co.

The C. Crane Co. FM Reflect Antenna is also a very
good but simple FM Dipole Antenna for around $30.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant/0143.html
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/fm-an...t-antenna.aspx

Plus "That Something Extra" - Part # 2
The Simplest Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas That I Know Of . . .
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...bed3e059ec70a3

CW copying Improvement AndyS Homebrew 5 April 17th 07 09:42 PM
R2000 SSB "improvement" [email protected] Shortwave 3 July 3rd 05 04:25 AM
900Mhz Antenna improvement [email protected] Antenna 5 June 14th 05 11:24 PM
900Mhz Antenna improvement [email protected] Equipment 5 June 14th 05 11:24 PM
"no ground" improvement? Tony Meloche Shortwave 7 October 31st 03 02:15 PM