Analog meter Repair?

Old April 22nd 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dale Parfitt[_3_]

Default Analog meter Repair?

Does anyone know of someone doing repair of analog meter movements?

Tnx,
Dale W4OP

Old April 23rd 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Joe Curry

Dale:

Try this group: http://www.sml-inc.com/Contact.htm

They do excellent work.

Joe
K3ICO

Old April 23rd 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dale Parfitt[_3_]

"Joe Curry" wrote in message
news
Dale:

Try this group: http://www.sml-inc.com/Contact.htm

They do excellent work.

Joe
K3ICO

Hi Joe,
I had contacted them this afternoon. They no longer repair movements.

Thanks,

Dale

Old April 28th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dale Parfitt[_3_]

"Joe Curry" wrote in message
news
Dale:

Try this group: http://www.sml-inc.com/Contact.htm

They do excellent work.

Joe

Hi Joe,
The 1st responder also gave me this link. When I called, they did not seem
to know too much about movement repair- although they do repair instruments.
Their response was that I should buy a new meter; which is not possible in
this instance.
Do you have any recent experience with them?

Dale

Old April 29th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Chuck Harris

Hi Dale,

I am an amateur watchmaker, and I have been known to repair meters
from time to time.

What seems to be the problem with yours?

Hairsprings can be straightened, iron filings removed, armatures
rewound.... I can't replace jewels cracked jewels, because I don't
have a source for new jewels.

-Chuck

Old April 29th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dale Parfitt[_3_]

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
Hi Dale,

I am an amateur watchmaker, and I have been known to repair meters
from time to time.

What seems to be the problem with yours?

Hairsprings can be straightened, iron filings removed, armatures
rewound.... I can't replace jewels cracked jewels, because I don't
have a source for new jewels.

-Chuck

Hi Chuck,
There is a spiral "spring" on the rear of the armature that connects the
armature winding to the (-) external stud on the meter housing. The "spring"
broke at the armature end. Obviously, soldering it would create too much
weight and about 1/2 to 3/4 turn is broken off. Ive thought about charging
up a cap and spot welding it, but afraid I might either ruin the movement or
vaporize the spring
This is a 1mA movement and although I am not all that familiar with meter
types- guess this might be called a moving coil type?
It goes on my Hallicrafters Cyclone. Oddball size- 1.97 X 1.97".
Dale W4OP

Old April 30th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Weiss

Dale,

I can vouche for Chuck. He does outstanding work. Repaired several analog
meters for me and they work better than new.

W9STB

Old April 30th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dale Parfitt[_3_]

"Weiss" wrote in message
m...
Dale,

I can vouche for Chuck. He does outstanding work. Repaired several analog
meters for me and they work better than new.

W9STB

Fantastic,
The meter is on its way as of this morning. It's from my Hallicrafters
Cyclone- a very hard size to find.

Dale W4OP