Kenwood TS-140S All mode ssquelch modification

Old October 5th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
T0M[_2_]

Default Kenwood TS-140S All mode ssquelch modification

I know it's possible to do a modifiction to have the squelch working in
all modes with a Kenwood TS-14S.
I would like to know if some of you have already made this mod and if it
really works.

Thank you in advance,

T0M
Old October 5th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed Cregger

"T0M" wrote in message
I know it's possible to do a modifiction to have the squelch working in
all modes with a Kenwood TS-14S.
I would like to know if some of you have already made this mod and if it
really works.

Thank you in advance,

T0M

----------

Even though I've owned and operated my share of Kenwood rigs, and never
heard of the problem that you describe, it surprises me that the squelch is
not intended to work in any particular mode. Which mode is your squelch
inoperative?

Ed, NM2K

Old October 5th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Michael Black[_2_]

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008, Ed Cregger wrote:

"T0M" wrote in message
I know it's possible to do a modifiction to have the squelch working in
all modes with a Kenwood TS-14S.
I would like to know if some of you have already made this mod and if it
really works.

Thank you in advance,

T0M

----------

Even though I've owned and operated my share of Kenwood rigs, and never
heard of the problem that you describe, it surprises me that the squelch is
not intended to work in any particular mode. Which mode is your squelch
inoperative?

It's odd. There were some SSB only VHF rigs in the seventies, and
they generally did include squelch (though I have no idea how
well they worked or if people actually used it).

Then the multi-mode rigs came along, and at least some of those
rigs had squelch that only worked on FM. I'd guess it reflected
operating habits, you want the FM rig left on in case someone
hits the channel, but for SSB you generally aren't just waiting,
you are actively tuning. Plus, you can get a feel for where
to set the squelch for local FM, but how much would you miss
if you had the squelch turned too high? By the time you get
the rig squelched on SSB, you likely are missing the weak
signals.

I imagine that's the case, and a search reveals this is an
HF rig, not a VHF rig as I imagined, and the squelch only
works on FM.

That makes sense, I can't imagine people wanting squelch much
on HF SSB.

The same search turns up at least one mod that may or may
not be useful. Just the rig's number and squelch into
the search engine.

Michael VE2BVW

Old October 6th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ralph Mowery

ample.net...

"T0M" wrote in message
[...]

I have a Yeasu ft221 for vhf that stays on all the time. It did not come
with a squelch for ssb but did for FM. I found a way to squelch it for ssb.
Almost all activity on vhf will be on 144.200 or 50.125 to start with. It
is seldom the band opens that this is not the starting point. With two
rigs on, one for 2 meters and one for 6 meters, it would be loud in the
shack if they did not have a squelch for ssb. Also there are some local
hams that monitor certain frequencies on 10 meters for local work and the
squelch comes in handy there also. Same for some special interist groups
and nets on the other bands.

I would miss the squelch on the rigs if they did not have them. Lots of
times I monitor an 80 meter frequency while working on the computer in the
shack and do not want to hear all the noise if no one is talking.

Old October 7th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
John Siegel[_2_]

T0M wrote:
I know it's possible to do a modifiction to have the squelch working in
all modes with a Kenwood TS-14S.
I would like to know if some of you have already made this mod and if it
really works.

Thank you in advance,

T0M

I owned the 680S years ago and the same mod applies to it. I never did
it so I can't
report anything about how well it works. How easy it to reverse the mod
if you try it and don't like it.
John

Old October 11th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
T0M[_2_]

Ed Cregger a écrit:

Even though I've owned and operated my share of Kenwood rigs, and never
heard of the problem that you describe, it surprises me that the squelch is
not intended to work in any particular mode. Which mode is your squelch
inoperative?

Ed, NM2K

Squelch is unoperational on SSB modes with TS-140S.

T0M