Old November 5th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default weller EC2002C soldering station

On Nov 4, 11:09�am, highlandham wrote:

On the topic of Weller soldering irons , I would appreciate info on the
following :

At a fleamarket I acquired a Weller soldering iron with a DIL16
de-soldering pad (very handy to remove ICs with up to 16 pins.
However , the heater element (Weller part nr 24410 , 24V-50W) is
defective (open circuit)
By Googling I haven't been successful finding a US supplier for the
heater element.
Can someone on this NG please help with US supplier info ( in the hope
the cost of a replacement element will not make it necessary for me
having to talk to my bank manager).

TIA for any advice

Frank � � GM0CSZ / KN6WH- Hide quoted text -

Hello Frank

Do you have a model number for the iron? If so, what is it?

73 John KC0G

Old November 5th 08, 09:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Ralph Mowery wrote:

RFI-EMI-GUY wrote:
I have same model unit with same exact problem. Yest it does regulate the
temperature. I haven't figured out the display problem either and the
thermistor in the iron seems to "ohm out" properly. Let me know what you
find. I never could find schematics for it. I used it just today on a PIC
project. Shame to throw it out, but I would like to read the temperature.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT

I found several schematics for different models. Never did find the one
that matches mine. I opened it up and it seems there is a ceramic board
with surface devices on it. Almost no user replicable parts. Atleast for
my skill level. I was hoping it would be the discrete parts. I can work
with them. Oh well, it was free and is a good soldering iron even without
the display. I do have a couple of spare parts for it also.

de KU4PT

Hi Ralph,

In my surfing, I found this reverse-engineered service manual for the
EC2002: http://www.geocities.com/bswadener/t...er_EC-2002.pdf or
http://tinyurl.com/5ff6qx (PDF, 372 KB). It may be of use to you and
others.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC

Old November 5th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Bryan wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:
RFI-EMI-GUY wrote:
[...]

Thanks!

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P
Old November 6th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Bryan" wrote in message I found
several schematics for different models. Never did find the one
that matches mine. I opened it up and it seems there is a ceramic board
with surface devices on it. Almost no user replicable parts. Atleast
for my skill level. I was hoping it would be the discrete parts. I can
work with them. Oh well, it was free and is a good soldering iron even
without the display. I do have a couple of spare parts for it also.

de KU4PT

Hi Ralph,

In my surfing, I found this reverse-engineered service manual for the
EC2002: http://www.geocities.com/bswadener/t...er_EC-2002.pdf or
http://tinyurl.com/5ff6qx (PDF, 372 KB). It may be of use to you and
others.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC

Thanks for sending that Bryan. It is too bad for me that is not the one I
have. From the outside it looks like it, but inside it is totally
differant. There seem to be several modles that look similar on the outside
but differant inside. The one I have has a C after the 2002.

Old November 8th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article ,
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

Thanks for sending that Bryan. It is too bad for me that is not the one I
have. From the outside it looks like it, but inside it is totally
differant. There seem to be several modles that look similar on the outside
but differant inside. The one I have has a C after the 2002.

Ralph-

Take a look at
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/weller/
where the EC2002 and EC2002m are listed. Perhaps one of these will be
closer to yours.

Fred
K4DII
Old November 16th 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Tim Shoppa wrote:
On Nov 1, 4:23 pm, Grumpy The Mule wrote:
We had one of these irons at work and replaced it with a WTCP
station.

I cannot say how much I love the WTCP's for being a rugged reliable
workhorse.

Tim N3QE

I went through two WTCP's. They worked ok, but eventually got
intermittent and would not stay hot. I now have a WES51/PES51 setup.
No more changing tips to change temperature, just dial it in. No led
display, but the dial is calibrated close enough. Also the soldering
pencil is lighter and less bulky than the WTCP was. Still I did like
the WTCP's all in one construction over the two piece (power supply and
iron stand) of the 'ES51. The Coper group has destroyed Weller. I
collect old Weller guns whenever I find them, the new ones SUCK.
Old November 16th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Howdy,

I've managed several labs where we had dozens of WTCP stations
in daily use.

The only problem I found with WTCP is the connector between the
base and the cord. I usually remove the connector and hardwire
the cord at the base. It causes the intermittent operation that
you've decribed.

I couldn't agree with you more concerning the damage Cooper
did to the Weller brand. Since they moved production to Mexico
the quality control is nonexistant. Some of the design changes
which I believe were intended as cost reductions were ill advised
too. The old Weller soldering guns are indestructable.

At home I have a Pace soldering/desoldering station and a Metcal
SMT station. I've no complaints other than the price.

At work we have a Hakko soldering/deslodering station and it's a
real work horse. We also have a Metcal SMT station which is a bit
fussy but it has been though hell and back. We just bought a couple
Pace ST70 soldering stations for general purpose work. I think we will
buy a few more, they're great.

It's too bad that Wahl quit selling Sterling soldering irons in
the US. It's an odd little iron but I love it. Thirty years old
and it's still the first iron I reach for in my shop. The original
tip is perfect! I called Wahl about buying a second iron and no one
there knew what I was talking about. The most clever feature is an
aluminum washer between the tip and body of the iron. The difference
in coefficient of expansion keeps the tip from seizing. It says made
in England on the body. Google was no help... sigh.

73,
Grumpy

ken scharf wrote in
:

Old November 16th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Grumpy The Mule" wrote in message

I couldn't agree with you more concerning the damage Cooper

did to the Weller brand. Since they moved production to Mexico
the quality control is nonexistant. Some of the design changes
which I believe were intended as cost reductions were ill advised
too. The old Weller soldering guns are indestructable.

I have the Weller guns in 3 differant wattage ranges. I think this is one
of each that they made. The 8200 I have is over 40 years old. The middle
wattage gun is one that does not have the hollow nuts that screw into the
end of the rods comming out of the gun. It is labled intermittent duty
where the other 2 do not have this lable. It seems to be lighter than the
smaller rated gun also. I don't use them much any more except to put the
connectors on the PL-259.
I really like the guns for the bigger stuff the pencles will not work. I
even used the 8200 on some of the older and larger PC boards.

Old November 16th 08, 08:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Grumpy The Mule wrote:

I've managed several labs where we had dozens of WTCP stations in daily
use.

The only problem I found with WTCP is the connector between the base
and the cord. I usually remove the connector and hardwire the cord at
the base. It causes the intermittent operation that you've decribed.

I couldn't agree with you more concerning the damage Cooper did to the
Weller brand. Since they moved production to Mexico the quality
control is nonexistant. Some of the design changes which I believe
were intended as cost reductions were ill advised too. The old Weller
soldering guns are indestructable.

I wouldn't be without my TCP, and spares are still available. Cooper
Tools in the UK give excellent customer support (though that's the
people, not the product).

At home I have a Pace soldering/desoldering station and a Metcal SMT
station. I've no complaints other than the price.

At work we have a Hakko soldering/deslodering station and it's a real
work horse. We also have a Metcal SMT station which is a bit fussy but
it has been though hell and back. We just bought a couple Pace ST70
soldering stations for general purpose work. I think we will buy a few
more, they're great.

Also take a look at the JBC range of soldering stations. They are beyond
my amateur budget but professional friends rave about them - they seem
to do everything the Metcal range can (and more) without the complex and
expensive RF heating. There's a video presentation at:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=v2hLFmHTQvo

It's too bad that Wahl quit selling Sterling soldering irons in the US.
It's an odd little iron but I love it. Thirty years old and it's still
the first iron I reach for in my shop. The original tip is perfect! I
called Wahl about buying a second iron and no one there knew what I was
talking about. The most clever feature is an aluminum washer between
the tip and body of the iron. The difference in coefficient of
expansion keeps the tip from seizing. It says made in England on the
body. Google was no help... sigh.

If you can post a photograph on a website, someone here in the UK may be
able to identify it.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK 'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Weller WCC100 Soldering Station gb[_2_] Equipment 3 January 15th 08 04:48 AM
FA: Weller EC2000 Electronic Control Soldering Station Steve KU9C Swap 0 September 20th 06 01:07 AM
FA: Weller Soldering Station mike Swap 2 September 21st 04 06:53 PM
FA: Weller Soldering Station mike Homebrew 0 September 21st 04 03:46 AM
Help fixing Weller EC2002A Soldering Station **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** Homebrew 4 September 18th 04 04:35 AM