Icom IC-2100 question

Old March 16th 04, 03:33 AM
Dustin

Default Icom IC-2100 question

Hello, I just bought a Icom IC-2100 radio and have read that there is a
power adjustment and was wondering if anyone has messed with it to raise the
power output of the radio which is 50 watts. I do have 2 external ball
bearing PC fans mounted on the heatsink to keep the radio cool, so that
shouldnt be a problem, I was just curious.

Old March 17th 04, 01:38 AM
Richard G Amirault

Dustin wrote:
: Hello, I just bought a Icom IC-2100 radio and have read that there is a
: power adjustment and was wondering if anyone has messed with it to raise the
: power output of the radio which is 50 watts. I do have 2 external ball
: bearing PC fans mounted on the heatsink to keep the radio cool, so that
: shouldnt be a problem, I was just curious.

Why do it? You will not gain any significant range, and you will most
certainly over stress the components .. possibly to the point of failure.

If anything turn in down, not up.

Richard in Boston, MA
N1JDU

Old March 17th 04, 03:09 PM
W4PHM

I agree with Richard......
I did jack mine up to about 70 watts, only with a fan put on it,
but you are not going to hit any machine any better or hit any
other station on simplex any stronger with that 20 additional watts.

I usually keep my 2100H on medium power, concentrate on a
good 5/8 wave antenna with little loss and you will do fine... if
you live in a moutainous area you may find that a 1/2 wave
antenna will suit you better due to take off angle.

Power is always secondary to good feedline and a good antenna.

Patrick
W4PHM

Old May 20th 04, 08:41 PM
[email protected]

W4PHM wrote:
I agree with Richard......
I did jack mine up to about 70 watts, only with a fan put on it,
but you are not going to hit any machine any better or hit any
other station on simplex any stronger with that 20 additional watts.

Right.

I keep mine at the stock levels after having to replace the (expensive) PA
module once.

K6LTS - email address in QRZ.com