Ten Tec Omni D series C

Old July 25th 10, 09:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Ten Tec Omni D series C

OK,so it is not a BA,,It is old enought to be one..Can someone tell me
how to remove the VFO..It does not appear to be a simple 1-2-3 action
and I don`t like to do extra work..The Vfo knob will not drive the
pto,may be from inactivity..may need cleaning or whatever...thanks
Harold W4PQW
Old July 26th 10, 02:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
wrote:
OK,so it is not a BA,,It is old enought to be one..Can someone tell me
how to remove the VFO..It does not appear to be a simple 1-2-3 action
and I don`t like to do extra work..The Vfo knob will not drive the
pto,may be from inactivity..may need cleaning or whatever...thanks

Did you download the manual? Look at www.tentec.com under downloads
then obosolete manuals.

As I recall there is a sort of planetary gear arrangement made with
ball bearings used to scale the shaft down. You may be able to free
it up just by squirting a little Super Lube or something in there, but
the real solution is to disassemble, clean, and regrease it.
--scott

Old July 28th 10, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Jul 25, 3:34*pm, " wrote:
OK,so it is not a BA,,It is old enought to be one..Can someone tell me
how to remove the VFO..It *does not appear to be a simple 1-2-3 action
and I don`t like to do extra work..The Vfo knob will not drive the
pto,may be from inactivity..may need cleaning or whatever...thanks
Harold W4PQW

OK now I know...remove covers remove all knobs,remove ring
bezel,remove front panel,,remove digital readout.,remove a horizontal
(LtoR) support bar.remove VFO assembly..the planitory gear drive was
frozen because of dried grease..it cannot be disassembled so ,you take
a dropper and keep dropping a degreaser (I used Naptha) on the vfo
shaft and keep working until it frees up.These drives work on friction
and always seem to work better in a dry condition..no lube..it is now
free and smoothe, and solid ..feels good and tunes good..Not a job for
a person with no patience..hi.. thanks for response..Harold