A Radio forum. RadioBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » RadioBanter forum » rec.radio » Shortwave
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old September 1st 10, 02:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,185
Default What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX?

RHF wrote:


What Diriection would you 'Point' the Bottom-End of
a Sloper Antenna for the best DXing from : Europe ?
Middle-East ? Africa ? and India ?

? N ? E ? W ? S ? and WHY ?

in search of the one-best answer . . . ~ RHF
.
.


Have you generated a Great Circle map centered on your location? That
would be step one.
  #12  
Old September 2nd 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,029
Default What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

On Sep 1, 3:49*pm, dave wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
On Sep 1, 3:44 am, *wrote:


I already have two SWL Antennas up here in
Twain Harte, CA -but- neither seems bring in
Europe; the Middle-East; Africa and India.


That's why they call it DX, I guess! *Our California location simply
is not at anybody's target area, and only occasionally off the
backside of the beam. *If we were in someone's sights, or if we had
that extra bit of ocean between us and them, we'd probably hear them
better.


Also, most of the European stations either totally ignore NA or else
use relays to get their point across, resulting in service only from
other locations. *The ones that still use their native soils for
transmitting to us - Czechia, Romania, Albania - all manage fairly
well some of the time.


India is especially absent from California airwaves. *Don't know why,
exactly.


Bruce Jensen


Antipodal?


Maybe - but I get other such stations fairly regularly - RN/VOA
Madagascar, BBC Seychelles, Sri Lanka...?
  #13  
Old September 2nd 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,029
Default What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

On Sep 1, 3:49*pm, dave wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
On Sep 1, 5:43 am, *wrote:
RHF wrote:
On Aug 31, 10:00 am, * *wrote:
On Aug 31, 7:11 am, * *wrote:


RHF wrote:
What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?


Given an area where you could locate a Sloper Antenna
with a Tall Mounting Pole "Top-End-Feed-Point' and the
ability to move the Bottom-Far-End around the full circle
of 360 Degrees.


Where would you place 'Point' the Bottom-Far-End for the
best DXing ? [ N ? E ? W ? S ? ]& * * *WHY ?


Top-fed slopers in an open space are essentially omnidirectional. *Most
of the radiation happens at the feed point. The slantwire and the
support structure form a low Q mass that also radiates, equally well in
all directions.


- Dale P. has always recommended using his PAR end-fed as a sloper
with
- the feedpoint near the bottom and thus giving a nice short run to
- ground. *Good omni results and a high radiation angle. *I think this
- would work for me if I did not have such a battery of RFI generators
- around my home.
-
- Bruce


BpnJ,


Now that is very Smart of Dale Par [W4OP]
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3707
{Now... Why Didn't I Think of That !?!}


Plus -if- you run the Coax Cable directly underneath
the Antenna Wire; it would act as a Counterpoise
and a more uniform ground field.
- simplify - simplify - simplify -


Sort of the same approach that Wellbrook in the UK
recommends for a Far-End feed-point for a better
Inverted "L" Antenna.
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/longwire.html


But that would eliminate the Tall rotational Center-Point
for directional testing : Which is OK since I am only
looking for the best single Direction be it N? E? W? S?


I guess that the SWL Sloper Antenna Designs by
both Alpha Delta and Eavesdropper were built around
using the Side of a House* as the High-Mounting-Point.
* Taking what the Customer already has and building
on that; to make the installation as simple and easy
as possible. {A No Brainer}


While most Amateur {Ham} Sloper Antennas generally
have a Bottom Feed-Point except for those attached
to an existing Tower/Mast.


BpnJ - tyvm for the tip ~ RHF
* *.
* *.


I have an Alpha Delta DX-B half sloper. It feeds at the top. *That's why
it works so good. The current max is 40 feet in the air.- Hide quoted text -


- Show quoted text -


How do you suspend the top?


50' telescoping mast and lots of Dacron


I like it! :-)
  #14  
Old September 2nd 10, 09:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,677
Default What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

On Aug 31, 7:11*am, dave wrote:
RHF wrote:
What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?


Given an area where you could locate a Sloper Antenna
with a Tall Mounting Pole "Top-End-Feed-Point' and the
ability to move the Bottom-Far-End around the full circle
of 360 Degrees.


Where would you place 'Point' the Bottom-Far-End for the
best DXing ? [ N ? E ? W ? S ? ]& *WHY ?


- Top-fed slopers in an open space are essentially
- omnidirectional.

OK but most are 'in' close-in space with all sorts
of things around them.

-*Most of the radiation happens at the feed point.

Yes there is more power radiating around the feed-point.
-but- I a talking about a SWL Receiving Antenna.

- The slantwire and the support structure form a
- low Q mass that also radiates, equally well in
- all directions.

Not 'If' the Support Structure is a Grounded Metal
Tower/Mast.

Many of the Commercial Slopers use an attached
Counterpoise Insulated Wire to hang-down to the
ground along the Side of a Building to act as the
Grounded Tower/Mast {Reflector} to give the Sloper
some directivity and to better 'Match' the Antenna
to the Feed-in-Line.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0013.jpg
http://www.alphadeltacom.com/images/dxswl.gif
http://t2k.wdfiles.com/local--files/...sloper-002.jpg

"A Sloper which is at an angle they will be more
directional the direction that they are sloped."
http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/dipole.html

Full 1/2 Wave Sloper Antenna : The radiation
pattern will be almost omnidirectional ... with
a slight advantage toward the "sloping" direction.
http://www.hamradiosecrets.com/ham-r...f-antenna.html

Half 1/4 Wave Sloper Antenna : Omni-Directional
pattern, but with some "warping" in the direction
of the wire slope.
http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/resvzazs/80endfed.htm

1/4 Wave Sloper : It does appear to offer gain
in the direction of the sloping element.
http://home.centurytel.net/WD0M/antennas1.html

Some of this may be the fact that these Slopers
are Mounted to Metal Towers/Masts and the
Grounded Tower/Mast may be acting like a back
Reflector and causing some of the Radiated
Directivity from the Tower to the Sloping Wire
and out away from them.
  #15  
Old September 2nd 10, 07:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Gregory [UK]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

"Just Plain Burr" wrote in message
...
Lighting did get me from my Wi-Fi. It jumped around on my desk so fast and
was over before I could move. All radios were OK.


Lightening not lighting I presume.

From your Wi-Fi?
In what sense from your Wi-Fi?

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.


  #16  
Old September 2nd 10, 10:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Gregory [UK]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

wrote in message
...

Palomar's currently sold 9:1 transformer is good only for a longwire,
but not for T2FD.


How can that be?

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.


  #17  
Old September 3rd 10, 06:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,096
Default What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

On Sep 2, 5:21*pm, "Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote:
wrote in message

...

Palomar's currently sold 9:1 transformer is good only for a longwire,
but not for T2FD.


How can that be?

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.


Because the presently made MLB-1 by Palomar Engineersis a UNUN for a
longwire. The older transformer which I used (may have the original
instruction paper somewhere) was a true BALUN. To build a T2FD we must
use a balun, since it is a broadband dipole.
  #18  
Old September 3rd 10, 07:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,677
Default What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

On Sep 2, 10:41*pm, wrote:
On Sep 2, 5:21*pm, "Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote:

wrote in message


....


- - - Palomar's currently sold 9:1 transformer
- - - is good only for a longwire, but not for T2FD.

- - How can that be?

--


Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.


- *Because the presently made MLB-1 by Palomar Engineersis a UNUN for
a
- longwire. The older transformer which I used (may have the original
- instruction paper somewhere) was a true BALUN. To build a T2FD we
must
- use a balun, since it is a broadband dipole.

Buy the PAR Balun which has a Floating Ground
Termainal which makes it an BAL-UN or you can
connect the Floating Ground to the Coax Ground
and have a UN-UN.
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/...-SWL%20Antenna

Opps to Buy the PAR Balun you have to buy
the PAR EF-SWL Antenna which includes the
http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT8.html
http://www.parelectronics.com/pdf/EF-SWL.pdf
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html
Balun and 45 Feet of HQ* Antenna Wire.
"Flex Weave" covered by a protective black
polyethylene jacket.

* 45 Feet of AWG #14 Black Polyethylene Coated
"Flex-Weave" Antenna Wire which is made up of
168 Strands of #36 Gauge Woven Copper Wires.
{This is Great Stuff}
http://www.radiobanter.com/showthread.php?t=124225

Yes with the PAR EF SWL Antenna you can Rig-It
Your Way ! - iane ~ RHF
  #19  
Old September 3rd 10, 04:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Gregory [UK]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

wrote in message
...
Because the presently made MLB-1 by Palomar Engineersis a UNUN for a
longwire. The older transformer which I used (may have the original
instruction paper somewhere) was a true BALUN. To build a T2FD we must
use a balun, since it is a broadband dipole.


A long wire balun should not assume you want a common ground connection on
the input and output.

But I've look at the picture and description of the MLB-1 on the web and I
agree it's far from clear what connections are provided.

However if I bought it and found it did have the grounds joined I'd return
it as unacceptable because when using a long wire you want to use a separate
good quality earth which is not joined to your receiver's earth which may
have RF noise on it.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.


  #20  
Old September 4th 10, 02:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,185
Default What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX?

Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
wrote in message
...
Because the presently made MLB-1 by Palomar Engineersis a UNUN for a
longwire. The older transformer which I used (may have the original
instruction paper somewhere) was a true BALUN. To build a T2FD we must
use a balun, since it is a broadband dipole.


A long wire balun should not assume you want a common ground connection on
the input and output.

But I've look at the picture and description of the MLB-1 on the web and I
agree it's far from clear what connections are provided.

However if I bought it and found it did have the grounds joined I'd return
it as unacceptable because when using a long wire you want to use a separate
good quality earth which is not joined to your receiver's earth which may
have RF noise on it.


I disagree. Use on an UnUn (autotransformer) puts all points of the
system at ground, provided you ground per electrical code. "Noise" from
the radio chassis (?) flows to ground through the IEC cable. Static
charges from the antenna system flow to ground at the transmission line
point of entry.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS : Alpha Delta DX-SWL Sloper antenna and 75' coax Dan Conti Shortwave 3 October 20th 06 07:16 AM
FS : Alpha Delta DX-SWL Sloper antenna and 75' coax Dan Conti Swap 2 October 20th 06 07:16 AM
Best plan for an outdoors sloper antenna [email protected] Shortwave 6 April 2nd 06 08:47 PM
Sloper antenna installation? Rich W. Shortwave 4 August 16th 05 03:00 PM
FS: Alpha Delta Sloper Antenna & Extras Rod Swap 0 July 2nd 03 01:44 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 RadioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.