IC-7410 vs. TS-590 ???

Old May 25th 11, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Michael[_8_]

Default IC-7410 vs. TS-590 ???

Greetings...

Have not posted here in ages... I gather there are still a few hams
around/.

Anyone have any experience with both the IC-7410 and TS-590 ???

Trying to decide between the two. Also considered the FT-950 but it
appears that both the IC-7410 and TS-590 are unanimously ranked above
the FT-950.

Also considered the Ten-Tec Eagle and Jupiter, but I really prefer
direct controls for a desktop rig.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanx !

Michael
Old May 26th 11, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe from Kokomo[_2_]

On 5/25/2011 6:47 PM, Michael wrote:

Also considered the Ten-Tec Eagle and Jupiter, but I really prefer
direct controls for a desktop rig.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am not sure what you are referring to, as both the Eagle and Jupiter
have direct controls; possibly you are confusing them with the Tentec
Pegasus, which did require a computer to operate.

1) Both the Eagle and Jupiter are *highly* rated (see the reviews at
eham.net)

2) Tentec supports their radios much longer than YaeComWood and their
"Radio of the Month Club". Nothing sadder than YaeComWood telling you
they no longer stock parts for a 2 or 3 year old radio.

3) Tentec is an American company, easy to contact, great support. Heck,
they even give you a 30 day free trial (excluding shipping). The last I
heard, YaeComWood does not do that.

4) IMHO, the receiver is -everything- and Sherwood Engineering rated the
Eagle's receiver number 6 of all the receivers they have ever ranked.
Not too bad for a mid-range radio.

Good luck with your decision and 73...
Old May 26th 11, 12:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wed, 25 May 2011 19:24:10 -0400, Joe from Kokomo
wrote:

[...]

Here is the the receiver info Joe referred to if you are not familiar
with it:

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

Jim(MI)
Old May 26th 11, 01:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Michael[_8_]

On May 25, 7:24*pm, Joe from Kokomo wrote:
[...]

thanx for the fast reply, joe... when i spoke of direct control i was
speaking of multi function buttons for things like mode and band
selection rather than computer control. fromt the front of the ten
tec rigs, they appear to have multi function buttons for some basic
things. though, i would not be in objection to a real SDR rig if they
start making them for linux. the fact that the ten tec rigs are made
in america is attractive, but icom's build quality is very good too. i
have an r-75 and it has been flawless for many years. probably one of
the best value for dollar purchases i have ever made.