FA: Tektronix 497P 100 Hz-21 GHz spectrum analyzer

Old June 18th 04, 11:47 PM
John Miles

Default FA: Tektronix 497P 100 Hz-21 GHz spectrum analyzer

The 497P is specified for coverage between 100 Hz and 7.1 GHz, but
because this late-model unit shares its hardware platform with the top-
of-the-line 494AP, I was able to calibrate it for the 494AP's full 21
GHz range. It is basically a 494AP without an OCXO standard and
external-mixer jack.

This analyzer is in unusually-clean shape, and includes a cover and set
of manuals. It would be a good economical alternative to a 494AP for
any RF/microwave experimenters who can live without the waveguide mixer
option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll...tem=3822660862

As an aside, this unit has the latest 49x ROMs I've run across (version
9.7 from 1992). The EPROMs were socketed, so I took the liberty of
reading them to .BIN files. If anyone needs them to repair their
analyzer, drop me an email and I'll send the images to you. These ROMs
can support any 49x analyzer of similar vintage, including the 494AP,
492AP, 492BP, 492PGM, 495P, and the 2753-2756 line. (They probably
would NOT work in older instruments such as the original 492/494/496
analyzers.)

-- jm

http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx
Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam
Old June 19th 04, 10:16 AM
SioL

"John Miles" wrote in message
[...]

You seem to know a lot about these things. I've got the 496P, I think its ver 1.5
The Uncal light is on. What does it mean?

Also, the manual for this would be really great.

SioL

Old June 19th 04, 06:59 PM
John Miles

In article ,
says...
"John Miles" wrote in message
You seem to know a lot about these things. I've got the 496P, I think its ver 1.5
The Uncal light is on. What does it mean?

Usually it means you've selected a resolution bandwidth that's too
narrow for the span; e.g., the 100 Hz filter will be too narrow for use
in a 100 kHz/division span. (If you're a ham, that's like turning on
your rig's CW filter and then spinning its flywheel-weighted dial across
the band as fast as you can. You won't hear anything but a few muffled
clicks if you do that, because the filter doesn't have time to respond
to any signals.)

Turning the video filter off may help, too. It will 'smear' at fast
sweep rates just like the RBW filter.

The sweep time/division switch should be set to "Auto" for 99% of all
measurements with these analyzers. If you set it to a fast sweep time,
the Uncal light will come on. (Make sure this switch works properly; I
had a 492 once that sometimes failed to read the switch at power-up
time.)

Also, the manual for this would be really great.

They are fairly common on eBay. Usually sold on CD as .PDF files (such
as
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3821468630), but
once in awhile some originals will show up. Tek has kindly released
their copyright interests in the older test-equipment manuals, so there
are a lot of people selling reprints. I don't know this seller and
can't vouch for the quality.

You can also try http://www.manualsplus.com,
http://www.manualmerchant.com, and http://consolidatedsurplus.com.

Old June 19th 04, 07:23 PM
SioL

"John Miles" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
"John Miles" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks.

I'll look at those pdf files on ebay.

The uncal light is unfortunately always on, none of the settings affects it.
The controls seem to work, but they don't affect uncal led. I guess I really
need the manual. Probably something in there that could explain it.

SioL

Old June 19th 04, 08:16 PM
Bill

In message , John
Miles writes
and http://consolidatedsurplus.com.

Didn't work for me but is it www.usimperio.com/consolidated/search.htm
????

I've added the others to my favourites list though so thanks for
pointing them out to us.

--
Bill
Old June 19th 04, 09:18 PM
John Miles

Thanks.

I'll look at those pdf files on ebay.

The uncal light is unfortunately always on, none of the settings affects it.
The controls seem to work, but they don't affect uncal led. I guess I really
need the manual. Probably something in there that could explain it.

That would make me suspect the keyboard controller chip. In the 492, I
ended up replacing it with a BASIC stamp (which I still have in the junk
box somewhere; you're welcome to it if that's the problem).

Does your TIME/DIV knob do anything at all?

Old June 19th 04, 09:23 PM
John Miles

In article ,
says...
In message , John
Miles writes
and
http://consolidatedsurplus.com.
Didn't work for me but is it www.usimperio.com/consolidated/search.htm
????

I've added the others to my favourites list though so thanks for
pointing them out to us.

I think I left out a 'www.' on that one. You're right, it's the same
site as usimperio.com.

They have just about every manual on the planet, but the trouble is,
they only rent them. Consolidated Surplus's prices and policies are
very reasonable, but wait until you take a Tek 49x schematics volume to
Kinko's to have it copied. It costs a fortune and they *always* screw
it up somehow, because it's such a complex job.

The .PDF files are a much better deal, if they're legible at all.

Old June 19th 04, 10:39 PM
KLØS

I've had very good luck getting Tek manuals from Deane Kidd...send him a
note at:

and see if he might have the manuals you're looking for.

Good Luck!

Dino KLØS/4

Old June 20th 04, 10:16 AM
SioL

"John Miles" wrote in message
Thanks.

I'll look at those pdf files on ebay.

The uncal light is unfortunately always on, none of the settings affects it.
The controls seem to work, but they don't affect uncal led. I guess I really
need the manual. Probably something in there that could explain it.

That would make me suspect the keyboard controller chip. In the 492, I
ended up replacing it with a BASIC stamp (which I still have in the junk
box somewhere; you're welcome to it if that's the problem).

Does your TIME/DIV knob do anything at all?

-- jm

What puzzles me in that case is why are all of the functions/buttons working?
Yes, even the TIME/DIV works as expected, all positions. Same goes for other
buttons.

When I turn it on it always starts with some strange settings and I need to reset it,
perhaps the EEPROM or RAM has failed over the years. Or I don't know how to
store the settings.

SioL