Fred Judd (G2BCX)

Old September 26th 04, 06:51 AM
Shaun Brennan

Default Fred Judd (G2BCX)

Greetings:
I’m searching for information on the life and career of Fred C. Judd
(1914-1992). Fred was a well known figure in the amateur radio world (callsign-
G2BCX), designing many piece of apparatus, including the famous “Slim Jim”
antenna, and writing numerous books on radio matters. He was also a pioneer in
the electronic music field- his best known work probably being the soundtrack
for the 1960’s puppet show, “Space Patrol.” If anyone reading this knew Fred, or
has any memories of him, please drop me a line at-
(remove “no spam” to reply).

Thanks!
Shaun Brennan

Old September 26th 04, 10:34 AM
Maurice ON4BAM

On 25 Sep 2004 22:51:11 -0700, Shaun Brennan
wrote:

Greetings:
I’m searching for information on the life and career of Fred C. Judd
(1914-1992). Fred was a well known figure in the amateur radio world (callsign-
G2BCX), designing many piece of apparatus, including the famous “Slim Jim”
antenna, and writing numerous books on radio matters. He was also a pioneer in
the electronic music field- his best known work probably being the soundtrack
for the 1960’s puppet show, “Space Patrol.” If anyone reading this knew Fred, or
has any memories of him, please drop me a line at-
(remove “no spam” to reply).

You might try to contact Rob, the editor of Practical Wireless. His
info is on: http://www.pwpublishing.co.uk/

Bye Maurice
--
Hamradio: ON4BAM / M0CIL / 9H3Z http://www.on4bam.com/
Travelstories from Alaska, Scotland, South Africa,Iceland,
Old November 4th 06, 11:34 AM
Peter Judd Peter Judd is offline
Junior Member

Location: Norwich
Send a message via Yahoo to Peter Judd
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice ON4BAM
wrote:

[...]

Dear Shaun
I came across your your request a little by accident and opted to register with this site in order to reply. Apart from the good recommendation mentioned above, you might like to contact either myself or my Mother, we may be able to help too. We can give you a 'life story!!'

Best regards
Peter Judd
Son of G2BCX who was my Father until he passed away in 1992.
Old October 3rd 08, 12:47 PM
MartinS MartinS is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Judd View Post
Dear Shaun
I came across your your request a little by accident and opted to register with this site in order to reply. Apart from the good recommendation mentioned above, you might like to contact either myself or my Mother, we may be able to help too. We can give you a 'life story!!'

Best regards
Peter Judd
Son of G2BCX who was my Father until he passed away in 1992.
Hi to both Shaun and Peter,
I feel like I've been eavesdropping....I too contacted Rob at Practical Wireless. He told me about Freda (Would that be your mother?) who is herself a journalist. I've been searching for ages for any information on F. C. Judd (Frederick Charles Judd) You probably aren't aware of the following that your father has all round the world. The 9 tracks He did on the Album "Electronic Age" are a favourite with Musique Concrete fans everywhere. It's been posted on many BLOGS and is available for download. His 7" EPs on Castle Records are also much sort after. Many new acts like "Galaxy Robot Orchestra" have been inspired by his distinctive sound. At present there is only one photo of him (at work) on the net and it's ordinary. We are all disgusted at the lack of info on F. C. Judd (Who was He? What was He like? I know He was a sound engineer at the BBC for a while in the 60's). I really want to see this corrected.

Martin
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
Old August 15th 09, 10:22 AM
Peter Judd Peter Judd is offline
Junior Member

Location: Norwich
Send a message via Yahoo to Peter Judd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
[...]

Hi Martin and everyone interested in F.C Judd's life and works.

Your e-mail was very interesting to read and we (my mother; Freda & I) are very concious of the world wide interest in my Father's work as we have been experiencing people tracking us down, which we of course delighted about.

I think my father probably wasn't as recognised as he deserved given his contributions to not only radio and music, but a host of things too numerous to detail here. He was very much ahead of his time. When we reflect on what he did once with one of Amstrad's first home PC's, (which many still don't know about including Alan Sugar) we shudder at the thought of what he might of done with today's modern PC's for say; radio wave propagation had he lived long enough.

In response to your 'banter' above, you may be interested to know that my mother and I have decided to pull together as much as we can of his life and works, including sound recordings of which we will have the originals, articles, etc., and hope to create a dedicated website. We will also raise world awareness of the site through a range of media channels. Watch this space.....!! It won't be quick, but it will be coming.

Best regards to all
Peter Judd
Son of Frederick Charles Judd (G2BCX)