When antenna tuner won't tune

Old August 5th 03, 01:26 AM
gil

Default When antenna tuner won't tune

I have the MFJ-971 portable tuner that I use with a random wire when all of
the sudden I could not load on any bands and the "forward" power reads very
low. At first I thought I blew the rig (TS-430) but then when I tried a
couple of different rigs ,the same thing happens... high SWR readings and
low power, also tried different antennas with the MFJ-971 and got the same
results.
Any suggestions before going out and purchasing another tuner? And is it
possible to "blow" a tuner, I dont use anything over 50 watts on CW.
Thanks.........gil

Old August 5th 03, 02:18 AM
Gregg

Behold, gil flashed in code from a keyed 4-1000A filament:

Any suggestions before going out and purchasing another tuner? And is it
possible to "blow" a tuner, I dont use anything over 50 watts on CW.
Thanks.........gil

Check for obvious internal signs of a short. Then replace yon 50 cent
SO-239 crap with good Teflon types.

Always worked for my HAM mates :-)

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old August 5th 03, 05:41 PM
SAM

I have the MFJ-971 portable tuner that I use with a random wire when all of
the sudden I could not load on any bands and the "forward" power

That tuner utilizes two tunable caps and a multi-tap inductor. Typical
configuration and very simple. I'd open it up and check for the obvious; poor
solder joint, broken wire, shorted cap plate, etc. Check the solder
connections to the SO-239 as they probably experience the most movement and are
probably connected with stiff wire.
If you don't see anything obvious, solicit some help from someone local that
can give it the once over before you go spending money for a new one.

Good luck.