Realistic TRC-452

Old June 26th 04, 07:25 AM
Totalrod

Default Realistic TRC-452

I recently accquired a Realistic (Radio Shack)TRC-452 CB radio. It has
been peaked (mod and power) and 25 channels added above 40. It's a
great old radio. My father had a TRC-452 he bought brand new in 1976
and I grew up seeing it in every truck he's owned since (I'm 30 now).
Anyhow, the reason I'm here is to ask a question. Everything on my
radio is in working condition except for the meter. The needle seems
to be stuck on "1". Is anyone familiar with this model? How do I
repair the meter so it'll work?

Bryan Lord
Old June 26th 04, 02:30 PM
carl wesser

if you are careful,, look on top of the meter inside radio. there is a very
small brass screw. this is the needle pivot bearing. heat the glue holding
screw, and turn c.c.w. about 1/8 turn.. this usually frees up the movement

behold ,,how good and pleasant for brethren to dwell together in unity

Carl's cb shop
Hollywood, Alabama
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

"Totalrod"

Old June 27th 04, 03:25 AM
Totalrod

"carl wesser" wrote in message ...
if you are careful,, look on top of the meter inside radio. there is a very
small brass screw. this is the needle pivot bearing. heat the glue holding
screw, and turn c.c.w. about 1/8 turn.. this usually frees up the movement

behold ,,how good and pleasant for brethren to dwell together in unity

Carl's cb shop
Hollywood, Alabama
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Thanks Carl,
I'll give that a try!

Bryan
Old July 1st 04, 03:31 AM
Totalrod

Dave Hall wrote in message . ..

Ah! the 452, a nice Uniden based radio. I had a couple of 152's (the
23 channel version of the same basic radio). The meters are fairly
common between the many makes which use those older Uniden chassis.

Unfortunately, they do tend to stick when they get older. It might
have something to do with surface corrosion or otherwise tarnishing of
the needle bearings. Sometimes you can remove the meter, take the
plastic lens off of the front, and adjust the little brass screw that
controls the tension on the bearing. You have to be real careful
though as it is extremely easy to mess it up. Sometimes you can get it
to work again, but it's been my experience that the repair is only
temporary and it will act up again.

You might check with a local shop. They might have replacement meters
for those things.

Dave
"Sandbagger"

Thanks Dave.
I'm not much of a technician, but replacing a broken meter seems
pretty straight forward. Just one more question. In your opinion, do
you think the meter on this website will work as a replacement?
http://www.kenselectronics.com/lists/meters.htm
The meter I'm looking at is: WV23-M1. At $6, the price is right. Not
to mention it looks almost identical to the original. If it'll work,
I'll probably get 2 of them. The second one will go into my Cobra 77X
which is basically the same radio as the Realistic TRC-452. Please let
me know what you think.
Bryan Lord
Old July 6th 04, 12:52 PM
Dave Hall

On 30 Jun 2004 19:31:00 -0700, (Totalrod) wrote:

Dave Hall wrote in message . ..

[...]

The Robyn WV-23 was a Uniden based radio, and the meter was virtually
identical to what was carried forward on your TRC 452. So it should be
almost an identical fit. And you're right, the Cobra 77X is an
identical Uniden chassis to the TRC-452, so the meters are also
similar.

Dave
"Sandbagger"
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj

Old October 3rd 12, 06:56 PM
Robertlee Robertlee is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hall View Post

wrote in message ...

[...]

Hi I came across this thread looking for a 3 pong power cord for my TRC 452 I just got. It has the box, antenna cord, all manuals and papers. Looks to have been used very little if at all. But it is missing the power cord. Can anyone lead me in the right directions for the right replacement? Thanks, Rob