MA/COM OpenSky Question

Old December 13th 04, 01:05 AM
yoyo

Default MA/COM OpenSky Question

As some in Michigan know, Oakland county is going to Opensky.

I know there is no scanner available to monitor, but...

The question I have is? Some officers I know in Oakland are being told,
their WORK radios will not be able to scan other jurisdictions.

They are being told they will only be able to directly access the other
cities, but not scan. The reasoning given is that the system, just
can't handle the strain????? And they don't know if it can ever be
done?????

Of course I question that, because it is still basically a trunked
system with talk groups and such.. I;m leaning more towards they are
throwing a line of **** for some reason...Why we don't know.

What would be an advantage to not allowing the department radios to scan????

Thanks

Old December 13th 04, 01:38 AM
Bill Crocker

MA/COM OpenSky is a big competitor to Motorola. Both systems are digital,
but very different from each other.

Why Oakland County chose to do different than the entire state of Michigan
is beyond my imagination. One of the most important discoveries during 9/11
was the inability of many agencies to communicate with each other, due to
VHF, UHF, Trunked, Digital, etc. Part of the Home Land Security efforts has
been to eliminate these differences, and get everyone on a compatible
system. I know the Michigan State Police, Motorola system, has not been
without problems. But I'm not sure MA/COM is any better...just different.

I guess Oakland County will have to issue Uniden, or GRE (Radio Shack),
digital scanners to the guys, so they can keep tabs on the outside world,
the same way we do!

I see MA/COM equipment showing up on eBay, on a frequent basis. So it may
not be as hard to monitor, as Oakland County has been led to believe.

Bill Crocker

Old December 13th 04, 02:58 AM
Mike

What would be an advantage to not allowing the department radios to
scan????

There is no advatage what so ever.

Where I live and area around me there is 4 different radio systems.

The county I live in
The local government went to an analog wide EDACS trunksystem.
The county went to an P25 VHF system.
The highway patrol went to an P25 VHF system.

The next city which is 20 miles from my location.
The local government went to an analog MOT trunksystem.
The county went to an VHF and Nextel.

The rest of the surrounding counties and cities are on a VHF system.

In my area VHF rules the land.

Interesting question JAMES HAMPTON CB 3 December 7th 04 09:34 AM
Stacking Distance Question. More Information ab5mm Antenna 8 June 5th 04 08:18 AM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM
Question regarding police tactics and scanners noobie Scanner 0 July 29th 03 12:48 AM