Is Shortwave radio dying?

Old September 13th 03, 03:12 AM
Jason

Default Is Shortwave radio dying?

Hello all

For a long time I have been interested in Shortwave listening, and I
have noticed on the internet that Digital radio is becoming more
prevalent. Before I go out and invest some money on a quality reciever,
is it safe to assume it is a hobby I can enjoy for years to come, or
will Shortwave be replaced in 5 years by more modern technology?

Thanks for any input,

JM Doiron

Old September 13th 03, 03:17 AM
Jason

Hello again

Also, I was wondering what I can expect for reception of different
stations north of Edmonton, Alberta Canada. I am interested in
Shortwave, and also AM.

Cheers, Jason

Old September 13th 03, 03:27 AM
--exray--

Jason wrote:
Hello all

For a long time I have been interested in Shortwave listening, and I
have noticed on the internet that Digital radio is becoming more
prevalent. Before I go out and invest some money on a quality reciever,
is it safe to assume it is a hobby I can enjoy for years to come, or
will Shortwave be replaced in 5 years by more modern technology?

Thanks for any input,

JM Doiron

Only if you believe what they said in the magazines 30 years ago.
You can get nice (well, adequate) SW rcvrs cheap as dirt these days...if
you are skittish, buy a cheapo and feel out whats there before plunking
down big bux for a quality radio.

-Bill

Old September 13th 03, 04:14 AM
Dan Robinson

No, it's not safe to assume that. In fact, I think you
can assume the opposite. There will come a day,
and the signs have been there for some time, when
analog shortwave receivers will not be useful for
much at all, and the question will become whether
digital transmissions from those broadcasters who
relied on analog for years will continue to commit
funds to transmit digitally via shortwave, or direct all
their broadcasting for foreign audiences to internet
and internet television.

Old September 13th 03, 06:13 AM
WShoots1

or direct all their broadcasting for foreign audiences to internet and
internet television.

The problem with Internet broadcasting is limited bandwidth. In wireless
shortwave, the number of listeners is limited only by propagation and the
number of SW radio owners.

Anyhow, for a "look see" starter radio, check out the following:

http://www.radiointel.com/review-jwinjxm14.htm

I paid $19.99 plus S&H, but others have found cheaper sources. Look back for
the jWIN thread(s) of a month or two ago.

73,
Bill, K5BY
Old September 13th 03, 01:24 PM
Diverd4777

WBCQ (7.415) a listener supported SW station
just celebrated its fifth year .
I think the reports of SW dying are exaggerated.

Old September 13th 03, 02:39 PM
King Pineapple

"Jason" wrote in message
Hello all

For a long time I have been interested in Shortwave listening, and I
have noticed on the internet that Digital radio is becoming more
prevalent. Before I go out and invest some money on a quality reciever,
is it safe to assume it is a hobby I can enjoy for years to come, or
will Shortwave be replaced in 5 years by more modern technology?

Shortwave has been "dying" ever since I got started in the hobby. That was
when John F. Kennedy was President-remember him?

Craig, WPE1HNS
Meredith, NH USA

Drake R8B/Alpha Delta DX Sloper
Sony SW-77
Sony ICF-2010
2 x Phillips/Magnavox D2935
Uniden CR-2021
Knight Kit Star Roamer (permanently tuned to Turkey on 9460)
GE Superadio II/Select-A-Tenna
Delphi Ski-Fi XM/3" Antennae

Tuning since 1963

Old September 13th 03, 03:01 PM
Clint

Dying isn't the correct word, really, I don't think it
really describes what is taking place currently.. I think
the number of transmitters and listeners is down, mostly
I think due to the prevalence of the internet... however,
while it may wane a touch here or there, it will not totally
disappear, as there are many shortwave broadcasters
that still want to reach third-world nations that do not
have the internet access that modern industrialized
nations do. I would think that SW will be around at
LEAST for another decade, inso far as there will still
be SW broadcasters. I love SW and listen to it frequently,
and will continue to do so as long as there are SW
broadcasters.

However, like I said, since some broadcasters still see
a market of one sort or the other in that part of the world
where there isn't much internet access or use of digitalized
or satellite communications, it will still be around for so
many years to come that I think it will be worth it if you
want to invest in a good reciever.

Clint
KB5ZHT

Former New York Mayor Ed Koch,
self proclaimed DEMOCRAT,
SHORTLY after the 9/11 attack-

"...everybody has a right to have thier own
oppinion... ...i'm even a Democrat... ...but
in this time of trouble, we need to show the
world our resolve and we're united, and we
should NOT denigrate the president."

--

Tom Daschle believes in the rich paying taxes....
....um, except for HIMSELF...

http://sibbyonline.blogspot.com/2003...e_archive.html

--

If you sympathize with terrorists & middle eastern tyrants,
vote for liberals...

Old September 13th 03, 03:53 PM
Frank Dresser

"--exray--" wrote in message

Hey, I know that guy. I met him on the street today but kept my
distance because of the smell. NO, I didn't give him any spare change.

-BM

That's a good point. I'm sure many of these guys are best appreciated at a
distance of one SW hop.

Frank Dresser