Ham Radio Desks

Old May 16th 04, 11:59 PM
hamzio

Default Ham Radio Desks

Anyone know of a maker/distributor for exclusive-built ham radio desk
stations? All suggestions appreciated. Many radios, shortwaves, scanners, HF
& Vhf transceivers, and 2 computers.

Old May 17th 04, 12:29 AM
David

http://www.apgcases.com/frontier_consoles.htm

Old May 17th 04, 12:52 AM
hamzio

Very nice consoles, but a little bit more heavy duty than what I am looking
for. Heavy pine is what I had in mind, almost like a work bench type table
with a matching hutch/console. But thanks for the reply and the link!

Old May 17th 04, 02:50 AM
Gray Shockley

On Sun, 16 May 2004 18:52:50 -0500, hamzio wrote
(in article ):

Very nice consoles, but a little bit more heavy duty than what I am looking
for. Heavy pine is what I had in mind, almost like a work bench type table
with a matching hutch/console. But thanks for the reply and the link!

In many cases, having a woodworker build a desk to your specs
isn't more - or, at least, very much more than buying a
well-built commercial desk.

There are a couple of features that you could "build in". One
would be adjustable shelves and another might be either
laminating between two pieces of the desk or simply "surfacing
the various pieves with sheet copper which could be tied together
and grounded.

I've never tried that but it could be "interesting".

Also, you could have have the rear of the "desk top" tilted
slightly for ease of use.

Also (grin), you can build your AC distribution in. I have done
that and it /really/ beats "the usual mess".

The same thing can be done by building in antenna inputs/outputs.

And it's a chance to have two very nice speakers built into the
desk.

Want any more suggestions [bwg]?

Gray Shockley
----------------
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399
CCradio+ w/RS Loop
Justice AM Antenna
Torus Tuner (3-13 MHz)
Select-A-Tenna
---------------------
Vicksburg, MS US

Old May 17th 04, 03:09 AM
hamzio

ha - yes, I've actually thought about custom-built and what I would want,
and considered all you mentioned, actually. I think I feel a trip to Home
Depot coming on

Old May 17th 04, 03:48 AM
Rob Mills

"hamzio" wrote in message

Anyone know of a maker/distributor for exclusive-built ham radio desk

Find a contractor that updates kitchens and pick up two or three old base
cabinets (the ones with drawers) that he has removed while installing new
cabinets. Bridge them (adjust the height of bridge between cabinets to desk
height, aprox 28 /30 in.) to fit your space with plywood or MDF,
paint/finish to suit your self, cover with plastic laminate. Start calling
CQ. RM~

PS, If you are located in large city/town, look for a business that deals in
surplus building material, they sometimes have real good prices on surplus
plastic laminate.

Old May 17th 04, 07:48 AM
J999w

Just finished my new operating bench. 2x4's from Home Depot, and Menards has
wood grained laminated shelving of various sizes that makes a great top. Just
nail 'er up. 12 feet long with a shelf to boot. I bolted the back legs into the
basement wall, and it's super sturdy. I've got each 3 ft section dedicated to
a different specialty ... HF, VHF, project building, and computer/books. Cost
.... about $100.

jw
K9RZZ
Old May 17th 04, 02:26 PM
hamzio

Yeah I guess if you want something done right, do it yourself. I've
downloaded some workbench plans and will improvise on those. Need heavy duty
wood tho - lots of radios and a huge old ART13 military transmitter that
weighs 80+ lbs, so I'm thinking 2X8s, pressure treated. Home Depot said if I
have all the measurements they will cut the wood for me. Going with pine and
will add some corner plates to it - should look good and be nice and sturdy.
My wife is jumping in on the project, too - going to run each piece thru her
arts and crafts room and take a butane torch to it and bring out the grain
and stain it nice. Not only will I have it the way I want, but I think it
will be more affordable as well. Looks like a good weekend project - thanks
all for the suggestions. I'm off to Home Depot

Old May 17th 04, 04:46 PM
GrtPmpkin32

Not only will I have it the way I want, but I think it
will be more affordable as well.

Heck, even if it did end up costing more (fat chance though!) you'd still have
something exactly to your specs, which would be worth the extra cash layout.
Sounds like it will be great, maybe when you get it done there'd be a way for
some of us to get a look at it online somewhere? :-)
I love DIY projects, particularly radio/station associated projects.
Linus