Frequency Grabber

Old May 17th 04, 04:09 AM
Super Pissed Dad

Default Frequency Grabber

Has anyone ever had a frequency grabber ? Looks like a reciever and gives you
the exact frequency someone is broadcasting on. Is this a waste of $$$ or is
this a must have for Christmas ?

spd
The law isn't justice. It's a very imperfect mechanism. If you press exactly
the right buttons and are also lucky, justice may show up in the answer. A
mechanism is all the law was ever intended to be."
-Raymond Chandler
Old May 17th 04, 04:21 AM
Peter

I have a frequency counter. I think it's the same thing. Works great but you
have to be within a foot of the transmitter to get an accurate reading.

Pierre

Old May 17th 04, 07:39 AM
krackula

try this site for what you are looking for :
http://www.optoelectronics.com/
some of these can work up to a mile or more away if used
properly. I have used a Scout -40 , a Stridsberg multicoupler /
preamp ( +30 db intercept point ) , a stridsberg inline FM trap ,
and a discone antenna ( outside , 35' in the air ) to routinely
capture signals a mile or more away.

or :

k...................

Old May 17th 04, 09:33 PM
starman

Super ****ed Dad wrote:

Has anyone ever had a frequency grabber ? Looks like a reciever and gives you
the exact frequency someone is broadcasting on. Is this a waste of $$$ or is
this a must have for Christmas ?

How do you intend to use it?

Old May 18th 04, 02:51 AM
Super Pissed Dad

i want to use it for utility purposes...long range !

spd
Old May 18th 04, 07:51 AM
Jay Heyl

In article , visa365
@aol.com says...
i want to use it for utility purposes...long range !

The Optoelectronics Scout will only lock on to a frequency if it's 15dB
stronger than background RF levels. In a typical urban area you need to
be pretty close to most sources for the Scout to lock on. Mine used to
light up from a pager tower about a mile away, but that thing was
putting out quite the signal. In most cases you need to be within a few
hundred feet. For low power devices, like cordless phones, you need to
be pretty much right on top of it. With my old 49MHz phone I had to
have the Scout within one foot.

In a low RF rural situation I would imagine the detection distance would
go up considerably.

It's a very useful device, but you do need to be within fairly close
range of most signals for it to register on the Scout. If you don't
care about being stealthy, a large antenna tuned to your target
frequency range will help quite a lot. A combination of low pass and
high pass filters can also improve the range by eliminating the
competing background RF.

-- Jay
Old May 19th 04, 02:14 AM
starman

Super ****ed Dad wrote:

i want to use it for utility purposes...long range !

You mean like searching for the source of a signal?

Old May 19th 04, 02:27 AM
Super Pissed Dad

Super ****ed Dad wrote:

i want to use it for utility purposes...long range !

You mean like searching for the source of a signal?

yeah I want to know the source of the signal~

spd