Timewave DSP-599zx Digital Noise Filter?

Old January 2nd 05, 07:01 PM
[email protected]

Default Timewave DSP-599zx Digital Noise Filter?

I'm curious to hear from people who have first hand experience with
this product. What did you think of it? Would you recommend it or not?
Thanks,

Steve

Old January 2nd 05, 07:45 PM
Bill Crocker

I had one, it's very well constructed, looks great, works ok, but is very
overpriced! Try to find a used one.

Bill Crocker

oups.com...

Old January 2nd 05, 08:01 PM
Bill Crocker

Here is one on eBay, currently at $285.00:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Bill Crocker

oups.com...

Old January 2nd 05, 10:05 PM
Ron Hardin

I'd say it's chiefly oriented to hams, SSB and CW and the various
tone stuff that I don't follow.

It has a 5kHz bandwidth, which means it's about as good as you
get for program listening - the various JPS and MFJ's aren't that
wide.

You get a frequency display of the notch and bandpass you're setting
up, and a way to save them.

I use the manual notch all the time. I wish it had more.

The automatic notch, like every automatic notch, doesn't work
with program listening, but only against huge solid heterodynes;
and the automatic notch would hash music in any case. So I don't
use that.

The noise reduction is just okay, not very state-of-the-art.

(Heil Sound is putting out a ClearSpeech filter that ought to be
pretty good for noise reduction; it's supposed to the the old
Amcomic one plus some knobs added.)

The 599zx brickwall filters are handy, and if you're looking for
a high or low whistle, sometimes easier than the notch filter in
finding the right frequency.

With SSB, if an interfering station is offset in the direction of
the sideband (eg. higher frequency for USB), a brickwall filter
eliminates it completely, a fairly amazing effect.

The 60Hz filter sometimes works on a hum some station has left in,
like Radio Havana used to do that a lot.

For program listening, I use only the manual notch and sometimes the
brickwall filters, reverting to an Ancominc for noise reduction.

Ie., I use only the linear parts of the filter.

Probably too pricy for the feature, but it depends on how much you
want to have one around.

I'd use the stereo CW if I listened to CW any more but I don't.
The sharp filters for tones would make what used to require intense
concentration quite easy today.

But for program listening, I use only the notch and
--
Ron Hardin

Old January 2nd 05, 11:51 PM
Brian Denley

Brian Denley wrote:
wrote:
I'm curious to hear from people who have first hand experience with
this product. What did you think of it? Would you recommend it or
not? Thanks,

Steve

I have the audio from all of my receivers piped into my 599zx and
then into my computer sound card. I find it works very well for NR
and for auto notching.

Another comment if I may:
There are some very good software DSP filters available. SRS is the best
example (
http://www.ar5.ndo.co.uk/html/SR5Ver.html) and is now free. RXPlus
is a payware control program for many receivers and has excellent DSP filter
capabilities built-in, with the best NR (noise reduction) I have used and an
excellent notch filter that you can actually see work.

--
Brian Denley