Cobra 25LTD Classic tune up

Old February 24th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Cobra 25LTD Classic tune up

"Lancer" wrote in message
news:dup3d90rlj0sr6humn29tofaalq2mf2sl6@2355323778 ...
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:41:02 -0600, "Dr.Death"
wrote:

wrote in message
Are you crazy... that unit can be made to have tremendous modulation.

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

BZZZT! Wrong....Keyclowns are not allowed to modify their radios.

But we will anyway.

And for no other reason that to **** him off, right?

You betcha : )

Old February 24th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Scott in Baltimore" wrote in message
. ..
What does the case and face plate look like. My 148 could use some
cosmetic surgery.

I got your email. I've been busy. Will disassemble soon.
Wait for email with pictures. Phillipines unit, side mike.

Great, thanks Scott.

Old February 24th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Dr.Death" wrote:
"Lancer" wrote in message
And for no other reason that to **** him off, right?

You betcha : )\

.....SHOCKING!
Old February 24th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Lancer wrote:
Thanks, I just wanted to see what your answer would be...

That would make a good sig file for this group.
Old February 25th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:45:59 GMT, Lancer wrote:

+Yes, really now...Jay has never had a mean thing to say to anyone in
+this group. I took exception at your condisending attitude to him.

*****

He proceeded to explain to me how AM worked and asked me to refer to
an old ARRL handbook. Instead I referred back to my college
communications textbook and quoted an equation that is the standard
form to mathematically explain how AM works.

Now is that is pompous or being condisending then I apologize to him.
It was my intention to properly explain mathematically how AM works.
Your reply to me seemed to be more of an attack. I don't try to attack
but explain technicaly the best that I can. There is no intention of
ill will.

james
Old February 25th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Frank Gilliland wrote:
This is CB radio. Get with the program.

Click Click.
Old February 25th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 02:59:08 GMT, james wrote
in :

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:45:59 GMT, Lancer wrote:

+Yes, really now...Jay has never had a mean thing to say to anyone in
+this group. I took exception at your condisending attitude to him.

*****

He proceeded to explain to me how AM worked and asked me to refer to
an old ARRL handbook.

Sifting back through the thread it appears that you began this
disagreement with an obtuse remark. To wit:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:40:53 -0800, Jay in the Mojave
wrote:

+Hello All:
+
+I am hearing that many guys are addeding in another modulation IC, and
+Modulation transformer to double the audio power, allowing a higher
+carrier power to be 100% modulated.
+
+Jay in the Mojave

******
The carrier in Double Sideband Full Carrier Amplitude Modulation
should remain constant during modulation. If not, then you have a far
greater problem.

james

Like, where did -that- come from? It sounds like you misconstrued his
remarks in your zeal to spout off something you read in an old text
book that you picked up at a flea market. Well, read the book again
but begin with the first chapter, which will usually state that
Fourier analysis is only a mathematical tool for advanced engineering
concepts (i.e, IMD analysis) and is not normally used to explain the
general principles of amplitude modulation; a comprehension of the
differences between the domains of time and frequency are usually
considered to be sufficient for most educational purposes.

Instead I referred back to my college
communications textbook and quoted an equation that is the standard
form to mathematically explain how AM works.

Well, your 'education' is lacking since the formula you provided is
only the basic groundwork for Fourier analysis; the analysis of
non-linear mixing of any two signals requires a function (or several
fuctions if there are more than two signals or if the signals are
non-sine) requiring an iterative progression in order to integrate the
distortion products. But I don't see how -any- of that matters when
all Jay was talking about was boosting the audio in order to fully
modulate a bigger carrier on a CB radio.....

Now is that is pompous or being condisending then I apologize to him.
It was my intention to properly explain mathematically how AM works.
Your reply to me seemed to be more of an attack. I don't try to attack
but explain technicaly the best that I can.

It wasn't needed, nor was it requested.

There is no intention of
ill will.

You were trying to toot your own technical horn. This is CB radio. Get
with the program.

Old February 25th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

james wrote:

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:45:59 GMT, Lancer wrote:

+Yes, really now...Jay has never had a mean thing to say to anyone in
+this group. I took exception at your condisending attitude to him.

*****

He proceeded to explain to me how AM worked and asked me to refer to
an old ARRL handbook. Instead I referred back to my college
communications textbook and quoted an equation that is the standard
form to mathematically explain how AM works.

Yeah, thanks for posting the formulas, now everyone in the group understands
how AM works..

Now is that is pompous or being condisending then I apologize to him.
It was my intention to properly explain mathematically how AM works.
Your reply to me seemed to be more of an attack. I don't try to attack
but explain technicaly the best that I can. There is no intention of
ill will.

james

If you think my reply was an attack...LOL!!

Old February 25th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello Scott:

I think we are getting the Time Domain mixed up with the Frequency Domain.

My comment was on a Oscilloscope voltage measurements which are in the
time domain. Without the RF Carrier voltage being modulated, increasing
and decreasing you would not have modulation of course. I never said the
power in the carrier changes. Or maybe I said it poorly?!??!?!?

But by added in more modulation power, like I said will allow for the
finial rf amplifier to have more modulation power, allowing for more RF
Carrier to be fully modulated, if it can handle the extra power. Simple
stuff. More power and modulation kicking a high drive amp will cook!

I have seen where the radios have been somehow modified to allow
unlinear modulation, that is the upper and lower envelopes are not
identical, and the radios still sounds ok. Yeah I don't know what they
do for the swing mods?!??!!?!

I put in Amplitude Modulation Envelope into Goggle and got a bunch of
neat web sites on the subject.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert, ....just down the road ah ways from the
fillin station.

Scott in Baltimore wrote:
******
The carrier in Double Sideband Full Carrier Amplitude Modulation
should remain constant during modulation. If not, then you have a far
greater problem.
james

Hello James:

No thats not how AM works. The Modulation increases and decreses the
amptitude during Modulation. Thats how double sidband full modulation
works. Look in a old ARRL Book.

Jay in the Mojave

Jay, I respectfully disagree.

An AM carrier doesn't change, just sidebands are added in the mixing
(modulation)
process, and the instantaneous voltage shown on an o-scope will be 4
times greater
then the carrier power itself. Since the audio added is 50% of the
carrier, the
RMS power will be 150% of the unmodulated carrier. The peak to peak
voltage is
greater. Put a 1000 Hz tone on a signal and look at it on spec-an.

(make sure to do this test with an unmodified radio, "swing kits" ruin
proper AM)

Old February 25th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:49:53 -0800, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

+
+Sifting back through the thread it appears that you began this
+disagreement with an obtuse remark. To wit:

****

In my opinion I do not feel that any of my remarks were out of line or
harsh. Like I said, if they did seem that way they were not intended
to be so.

james

FS: Cobra 29 LTD Classic (parts radio) $12.00 Penske PC27B CB 0 September 5th 05 03:26 PM
Cobra 25LTD Classic Professor CB 11 July 20th 05 11:50 PM
Cobra 25 LTD classic vs 29 LTD classic Alex CB 1 October 9th 04 06:22 AM
Cobra Classic 29 Ltd, anyone have one? Greg CB 2 August 18th 04 02:36 AM
Cobra 25 WX LTD Classic mic squeal Chris CB 3 June 26th 04 08:26 PM