Old January 14th 04, 01:55 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Leo" wrote in message

Dee,

The belief that a mandate for anateur radio to participate in public
service communications is quite common - just did a quick search on
Google, and II have attached an ARRL reference as well as one amateur
radio club, who both clearly call it a "mandate".

Not sure where in the regs this is, or whether it is an interpretation
of the Part 97 sections already quoted.

73, Leo

ARRL:

http://www2.arrl.org/qst/features-columns.html :

Public Service: Our mandate from the FCC includes the need to put our
knowledge and equipment to use in service to our fellow citizens.
Every month you'll read about what your fellow hams are doing to
fulfill this promise of service to their communities.

Kentucky Amateur Radio Web Site - ARES Operator Registration

http://www.qsl.net/kyham/forms/aresreg.html

Thank you very much for having the desire to serve your community, and
help to fulfill Amateur Radio's FCC mandate of public service in time
of emergency.

These mistakes are quite common Leo and sometimes are fostered intentionally
just to make a good show. This is why every ham should read Part 97 from
beginning to end. The exact words in Part 97.1a are as follows (and this is
the only place public service is even mentioned.

97.1a
"Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur radio service to
the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly
with respect to providing emergency communications."

This wording certainly is no mandate or authorization. It's a recognition
of what we do and what we have always done. While public service is indeed
a time honored and honorable tradition and something that we should continue
to do, the FCC regs can hardly be construed to be either a mandate or an
authorization.

However, political grandstanding for selling your cause is also a long and
time honored tradition. I don't really agree with such actions (even on the
part of the ARRL) but calling a house a castle doesn't make it one.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE