Old November 21st 03, 04:47 PM
Craig Jackman

Isn't a Compellor just a limiter? I have not problem adding yet another
compression stage as that's the sound of radio these days, but if you want
o process your sound, shouldn't you add an EQ in there too? The newer
Optimods have Eq stages in them.

I would put any processors you add before the Optimod.

Keith Anderson ) writes:
The optimod is in the chain as follows:

!MUSIC! -- BOARD -- OPTIMOD -- STL Beamed to the transmitter.
Where the other STL is located.

I was advised perhaps I could do some audio processing on the
otherside of the optimod so it would go MUSIC - BOARD -OPTIMOD -
PROCESSING - STL. But to me, this sounds like trouble. And i think I
would have to convert composite audio into analog audio, and then back
again -- pain in ass, I'm looking for some good deals now on an aphex
compellor, donations always are welcome! HAH!

Thanks alot,

Keith

You've all been very helpful!

umarc wrote in message ...
(Keith Anderson) writes:

The station currently has an ORBAN Model 8100A OPTIMOD-FM. I noticed
that my station sounds 'very flat' compaired to other stations playing
the same music. My question is this:

I would like to make the music 'thump'. Can i do some audio processing
before the optimod? (ie add a bit more .. *unf*), or would the optimod
just strip that anyways? All i would like is for the drums and bass to
hit just a little harder, i've dorked with the optimod and had the
engineer in there, and i think we have it sounding as good as its
going to get by itself, but want more, but to poor to buy even a newer
one for now.

There are a lot of things that have been done with Optimod 8100's;
the best I've heard involved changing some of the chips in the
Optimod and installing an Aphex Complellor and a set of Gentner
Audio Prisms in front of it. Some folks have used replacement cards
like Glen Clark's Cobalt Blue card in the Optimod.

However, today it's much easier just to replace the 8100 with one of
the latest digital boxes such as the Optimod 8400 or Omnia 6.

We just replaced an Optimod at one of our stations with an Inovonics
Omega FM processor; it's an excellent box that's almost infinitely
configurable. And it's only $4500.

umar

--
Craig Jackman - Audio Production and Sound Design
Multi-award winning Creative Production, Station Imaging, Comedy, Voices