Old July 18th 03, 06:55 AM
RHF

Default Random Length Longwire Directionality Questions ?

BURR,

IF [Big If] - The Transmitter is using a Mono-Pole Vertical
Omni-Directional Antenna; and the right frequency; plus a given skip
pattern (number of hops) is just right: Then the North Pole (shortest
route) should be the best for the strongest signal.

BUT - Most of the time International Shortwave Broadcasters use
directional antennas to BEAM a Signal to a specific area or region.

* If the signal is Beamed over the North Pole: Then that is the signal
that you will usually receive the best.

* If the signal is Beamed from the East to West: Then that is the
signal that you will usually receive the best.

Any "Random Wire" Antenna will have some frequency that it is One
(Full) Wave Length (WL); 1/2 WL; and 1/4 WL long. For each of these
frequencies the antenna's transmission and reception pattern will
very.

BUT - In general the common random wire antenna which is less than 35
Feet Long and less that 20 Feet High is considered Omni-Directional
with the majority of its signal coming from high incident skywaves.

~ RHF
..
..
= = = Burr
= = = wrote in message ...
Morning Robert,
The way I was told and the way I do it is,

I run the wire east/west with an "L" at one end and slope it up/down a
little.

The reason is, most sigs come over the top of the world from the north
to the south. The "L" part gets the few sigs that come from the east/west.

As to how long to make it I think 69 feet but I'm not sure. If you get
it to long then you get two sigs or a echo. Also the tilt helps with the
timing.

Burr
Grundig's Sat800&650,YB400&FR200
Drake SW8 Scanners BC 895&245XLT
Sangean DT110(for Ball Games)
Also Have a Clock Radio!!!
N35.3582
W117.4157
South Left Coast, U.S.A.

Robert11 wrote:

Should the main run be purely horizontal, or, perhaps, sloped ?
What's the best compromise; want only one antenna.

How does the vertical run length, in this case only about 15 feet,
contribute ?