Old August 27th 03, 09:05 PM
Ralph Aichinger

In rec.radio.amateur.policy CW wrote:
There are active military and government frequencies spread throughout the
HF bands, I have, sitting in front of me, two pages worth of active military
frequencies. This does not include FEMA, DEA, ect. Yes, they also use VHF
and satellite but maintain activity on HF for long distance as VHF is line
of sight and satellites are to vulnerable. You can do everything you want to
maintain your chicken little views but some of us know better.

As I have written, BPL devices *do* have the possibility to keep out
of *some* HF frequencies AFAIK. Ham radio would not be the first candidate
for this. Air mobile and military users would be more likely to benefit
from it.

And maybe it is a different perspective here in Austria, as our military
has a lot less influence on our society. We've got utilities actively
deploying this stuff, and while it is far from being everywhere, it is
a real threat in some areas. I suppose they could not care less about
implications of BPL for the military. They just do good lobbying,
and they have shown their political influence in many issues in the
past.

Don't count too much on the military. They might just use this as
an excuse to get funding for a new satellite based infrastructure or
other alternatives. Moreover I suppose HF is most valuable to the
military in crisis regions, where there is no BPL anyway ; )

/ralph