Old November 1st 03, 02:36 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Mark Keith wrote:
Dang...Didn't even think to look at the tv...It's kind of a hassle, as
I have to unhook the cable, etc...The KH6's seemed pretty F layerish.
Real steady for long periods of time. Almost like 10m. Some of the
stateside stuff might have been e layer. MK

See, I *knew* there was a good reason I don't have cablegrin!

The Vancouver DXer was certain the opening was double-hop Es.

The E and F layers are both ionized layers of the upper atmosphere that
refrace radio signals. It's already accepted that a F1 layer merges
with F2 at certain times - my question is whether maybe both F layers
merge, at least partially, with the E layer on rare occasions. The
immense magnetic storm we've experienced would certainly seem capable of
triggering unusual effects.

The Texas and Louisiana reporters did feel the signals had F-layer
characteristics - severe multipath (much easier to detect with TV
signals than with SSB!) and a relatively stable MUF within the TV channel.

Given the difference in locations and latitudes, I suppose it's possible
there was double-hop Es and F2 at the same time!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66