Old November 29th 03, 12:49 AM
Howard

Default The best reception I can get...

Brian,
You may be better served by using a bandpass filter - or in your case
a "band no-pass" filter. Something that attenuates signals below 2
MHz may be useful; just browsed the HRO and AES catalogs and did not
see one for that range though. Dale Parfitt, of PAR Electronics, pops
up on this ng from time to time; his company markets bandpass filters
for VHF/UHF that are highly regarded and perhaps he could help point
you in the right direction. PAR Electronics can be found at
http://www.parelectronics.com/index.htm , Dale is also now offering a
nice end-fed wire antenna you may wish to consider. You may also wish
to go to the library and see if they have the ARRL Antenna Book or
Amateur's Handbook - you might find something in there.

FWIW, I have a 7600G that when hooked to an inverted L also picked up
the local AM stations, the problem did not duplicate itself when I
attached the Alpha Delta sloper. The inverted L was grounded at the
feedpoint whereas the AD sloper has a 30' wire downlead to act as a
counterpoise - but is also attached to a ground rod (manufacturer
indicates you can either let the wire dangle or connect to ground).
Never did figure out why the problem existed but when I rewired the
balun on the inverted L with no DC continuity between input/outut the
problem went away. Perhaps this info will help you resolve your
issue.

Good luck,
Howard
On 28 Nov 2003 22:33:36 GMT, "Brian Sturges"
wrote:

I've been using the Sony 7600GR with a 40 FT outdoor wire fed into the house
with coax for awhile now. My results are OK most of the time- but I usaully
just leave the antenna input near the radio or use the attenuator. My
problem is strong interferance from local AM stations as I live in the
middle of a city of 250,000. Can anyone recommend a preselector or similar
device? I'm thinking of the MFJ-956. I've already been warned that these
gizmos won't take me to radio heaven. The Vectronics AT100 looks neat- but
I suppose I can't get away with using any gain? Also, I will soon be
re-installing my antenna because I'm moving my listening area to another
room: I wonder how important the direction of the wire antenna is? I live
in the Midwest, so many of my shortwave stations come from the east. It's
most conveniant for me to run the antenna east\west- but I could do it N\S
if the overall performance will make it worthwhile. I'd appreciate any
feedback on this- no, let's make that INPUT.
Thanks!
Brian