Old May 22nd 04, 12:02 AM
Giovanni Landman

On Fri, 21 May 2004 17:47:43 +0200, Ruud Poeze wrote:

"Dr. Who" schreef:

Thanks for the info.
It's about time they got away from this IBOC garbage.

But with DRM you loose your analogue audience, since it is digital only.
So for a long period of time you need 2 frequencies and 2 transmitters
at least per channel! Impossible on AM, and SW broadcasters will have a
hard time with these "double costs" for a long time.

Will the cost really double?
You certainly know DRM transmissions consume less power. Example: "our"
Radio Netherlands consumes "only" 40 kW of power for the daily 9815 kHz
DRM transmission (around 12:00 GMT).
Generally, with analogue broadcasts, 2 times the DRM transmission power
is consumed.
This brings up a question. Is hiring a DRM transmitter that expensive?

Whatever the answer to that question is, I can see one point: SW
broadcasting is considered expensive (some even say superfluous) these
days. In any case, cost increase is not exactly appreciated.

What should be done is developing a system wich can simulcast analogue
and digital on one channel, without the disadvantages of the present
IBOC system. DRM could form the base for this.

hmm ... remember you only have one single 10 kHz channel at your
disposal. I think you're just asking too much, for this moment.
Who knows what future will bring.

This new system then can be used world-wide and on all AM bands! (SW,
MWorAM and LW in Europe and Asia).

If that new system becomes reality, yes (although I'm not sure whether
LW will survive - ugh those transmit antennas!).

--

mvg,
Giovanni.