Old January 9th 05, 06:49 PM
HankG

Default WWRB ?

It's 18:40 z and I'm 'listening' (I think) to WWRB. There is some religious
fervert doing his thing. At first I thought it was a pirate as the
frequency seemed to be drifting up and down.

This guy is shouting so loud into the mic, that I came across his splatter
as high as 20 khz and more above his broadcast frequency. In my recent SWL
experience, I found that most AM signals could be detected at less than +/-
10 khz (usually 5) from the broadcast frequency. He's on 12.172 (I think).
My meter seems to be resting on +30. His lower sideband is unclear, being
interrupted by other powerhouse stations.

In the ILG database, WWRB's modulation is listed as DAB. What is this, and
are SW broadcasters limited to 100% modulation as are (were?) amateur and
commercial broadcasters? What is a reasonable bandwidth for an AM station.

HankG