Old February 8th 05, 06:43 AM
Wes Stewart

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 23:33:11 -0500, "J. Mc Laughlin"
wrote:

|Dear Wes: Congratulations! I started to listen by 1130Z and they were
|never strong enough to be able to copy a call sign. Yours is the first
|proof that they were heard in NA. Thanks for the info. Perhaps tomorrow.
| 73 Mac N8TT

Good luck, Mac.

|I am using a large LPDA at about 38 meters and had a very quiet, rural noise
|level.

See that's your problem, your antenna is too big and too high.[g] I
used a ground-mounted 1/4 wave vertical. Readability was better on my
45' high inverted vee because it's quieter but the absolute sig
strength was better on the vertical.

Would have worked them quicker had they said they were working split
more often. I called a few times simplex until I got the "up" "up"
sig. Call me a lid, but at first I figured they were just another
Philippine station and I didn't know what all the fuss was about.

73,

Wes