Old July 23rd 05, 01:36 AM
RadioGuy

After trying all the permutations and combinations of connector arrangements
I have concluded there is no way the 'PowerPole' connectors can be
configured to prevent a short-circuit as the connectors are presently
designed.

However, if the dovetails are altered (redesign of the injection mold) the
connectors can be oriented 'on top of ' as opposed to the current 'side by
side' orientation ---the new design will then allow the connectors halves to
mate only ONE way. The connectors will no longer be 'mirrored' and as the
'PowerPole' connectors do not posess a gender a standard will be required
regarding which connector half is used for the supply side and which is used
for the equipment side. It is highly unlikely that Anderson will redesign
the 'PowerPole' connector to meet the needs of the Ham community.

It amazes me that this connector, with the potential of short-circuit from
misalignment, could be considered a standard for power connections of
emergency communications equipment. In review of the literature no mention
is made of the possibility of improperly mating of these connectors. This
must be the first time in my experience that equipment and power source must
be fused to prevent a short-circuit resulting from improper connector
mating---unbelievable. I think the 'PowerPole' connector has the earmark
of a classic 'Ham boondoggle'.

RG