Old August 31st 05, 08:32 AM

THANKS for explaining it so simply.

From the Advanced part I already knew:

1) P = I I R, P = EI
2) ELI the ICE man
These came in handy since the Extra restates some Advanced questions.

I've taken the EHAM practice tests for extra and passed them 3 times in
a row by memorizing:

1) Tip to tail reactances for magniture and angle for series resonant
circuit
2) Tip to tail reciprocal reactances parallel resonant circuit, take
reciprocal back and opposite angle for answer.
2) BW = F/Q (sorry for the mnemonic: f**k over you, you rhymes with
Q)
3) reactance = 2 pi F value, reciprocal for capacitors

And now I am getting 77% to 85%, which is enough, I think. There's
sections of the exam which are not relevant to my use of the hobby,
just as there are other sections not relevant to other people's use.

I am beginning to understand that what the Extra written test is
purported to measure is exposure to a number of facets of amateur radio
actively pursued over a number of years. Essentially, if you practice
at least 3 to 5 seperate parts of amateur radio for at least a few
years, you'll already know the bulk of the exam.

That's what got me 55% - 66% of the way already. All I needed to do
was practice a little to extend what I already knew about circuits from
building.

I'll keep practicing till VEC time.

Thanks a million, folks!

The Eternal Squire