Old September 9th 05, 11:31 PM
Cmdr Buzz Corey

wa5dxp wrote:
I just left my home in NOLA area, and spent two days setting up
emergency stations, rigging antennas, etc, \grueling work. Then,
there was nothing, 2m repeaters were down, phone lines were dead,
HF propagation was almost non-existenet except on 20 Meters, but 160,
80 and 40 was horrible. I tried and tried but no one seemed
interested. In all fairness, when cellphone/landline communications
stops ham radio grinds to a halt. I don't know if people were in
shock or what, but no one wanted to handle any traffic.

When troops moved in, I packed up my stuff and am now on road heading
North to Oklahoma. In my opinion ham radio dropped the ball
completely, but conditions were HORRIBLE that first week, I never want
to have to go through that again. However, as a ham since 1948 I was
really disappointed in ham radios non-response.

So you were unsuccessful in your attempts, and that means ham radio in
general was also unsuccessful? Better think again, there are numerous
news account of the hams doing a great job of providing help.