Old December 22nd 05, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
johnboy

Default excellent receiver test

I looked for the "low power south american local " and only found a
"ROCKCRUSHER south american local " at 40 db over s-9 here in Kentucky??
I'm only using an Icom IC-78 Export Amateur rig...Superhet is gone by
hitting the notch...not that it mattered much anyway cause the station is a
lot louder than it is here.By the way I tried it in AM....SSB is too easy

Will turn on the
Tennessee Trash RX-340 after dinner and let you know if its a runner up with
the "800"

If thats a weak station I'd sure as hell worry about my radio if I hit a
strong one!

LOL
"mike maghakian" wrote in message
do you want to see if your receiver has the "right stuff" ? here is an
excellent test.
in the evening (about 0200-0700) tune to 6139.8 with your receivers basic
settings, you should get a terrible het (wiht 6140). if you can get rid of
the het and listen to the low power south american local with great
clarity then your receiver has the right stuff. if no het is present, then
try later when the station on 6140 is present.

the S800 can do it supurbly with its selectable side band sync. MOST
receivers can't even do a fair job or they take a lot of work to get
barely decent results. some of the receivers that can do it give poor
fidelity.