Old January 12th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default SW antenna for highrise building

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:15:26 GMT, David wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:52:14 +0800, ngu wrote:

Yes, I have a balcony (same as porch, I believe).

Last night I tied the 3 yard wire leading from the window of my room to
the balcony instead of letting it dangling down. The wire is now
therefore hanging horizontally outside the building although it is still
close to its wall.

Things improve. I am hearing the Voice of Russia, BBC (transmitting
from Thailand and Singapore) and VOA from my apartment home in Hong Kong.

I shall increase the length of the wire antenna and see how it goes.

Considering the fact that I live in the middle of a concrete jungle
(there're many other tall buildings in my vicinity), I'm already rather
pleased that I'm getting at least some SW reception at all with my US$8
made-in-China 9 band pocket radio.

Thanks all for their advice.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think that the Sony active antenna,
placed near the window, will work better than the home made wire antenna
hanging outside in a concrete jungle environment?

I'd get an MFJ-1024 or a Dymek Active, clamp it to the railing.

You can get the MFJ on a no questions asked trial basis.

MFJ = Mighty Fine Junk
Also, don't believe hem abut the no questions asked trial or their
warranty or basically anything else they promise to the customer other
than the stated price of the item.