Old April 1st 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John - KD5YI

Default Amother look at a choke balun.

Reg Edwards wrote:
So, then, I would have the same transformer (or balun or whatever)

if I used

a wooden or plastic torus to wind the thing?

John, yes you would. But you would not have the choke.
----
Reg.

Reg -

You removed the important part of your post. I will quote it. You said:

"The presence of ferrite has hardly any effect."

This is what I do not understand. If the ferrite has hardly any effect, then
explain to me why plastic could not be used as long as the plastic torus is
shaped the same.

Now you say it wouldn't be a choke. Why not? As long as the shape of the
turns of wire are the same without the ferrite, why would it not be a choke
without the ferrite which has "hardly any effect"?

I am not trying to pick an argument. I am trying to understand something
that goes against everything I have been taught.

Thanks,
John