Old April 1st 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

Default Amother look at a choke balun.

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 15:45:48 GMT, John - KD5YI
wrote:

Reg Edwards wrote:
John, I'm afraid you havn't the foggiest idea about how a choke balun
works. You are being confused by the Gurus' bafflegab.

I must be more dense than I realize. I do not see an answer to my question
in your reply. If your answer is there, I would appreciate it if you would
point it out to me.

Hi John,

No, you are no more dense than the next, and Reggie's bafflegab is no
more distinct than all that which preceded it - once you discard his
pretension.

If you simply want an explanation from him, we can all see how much
desire will be filled from that. On the other hand, there may soon be
an unzipped executable released soon.

If you simply want to know why he uttered
John, yes you would. But you would not have the choke.

The ferrite is wholly transparent to the differential currents (the
balanced and thus equally opposing line currents). Its presence or
absences is immaterial. This is the abstraction of Reggie's bafflegab
for instead simply saying you don't need a choke (the lines' balance
proves that).

Now, if that condition of balance were to ever go away (like we leave
that comfortable illusion and return to reality), then the absence of
the ferrite has also rendered your "choke" chokeless (by the degree of
its contribution because in spite of Reggie's claim, the turns of your
coil remains a choke, if only an inadequate one).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC