Old June 17th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

Default Circular vs. Linear and Dipole vs. Loop. Thoughts?

On 17 Jun 2006 11:33:49 -0700, wrote:

Ok, I have a question for an antenna expert. I'm a UCF student
designing a UHF RFID system for a new kind of robot positioning system,
and I have two choices to make:

1. Circular vs. Linear polarized antenna for the RFID reader
2. Halfwave dipole vs. Fullwave loop antenna for the tags

Hi Nathaniel,

Both Loops and Dipoles are dipoles. This is not about geometry so
much as it is about phase driving two separate, but close antennas.

I doubt it any RFID tags are polarized, but I could be wrong. If so,
then you will need a more complex antenna for the reader. Either way,
you should check with the vendor of the tags. They have every
motivation to make sure you know antenna requirements.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC