Old September 7th 03, 09:10 PM
Tom Tillander

Thanks, I'm aware of the "goop" issue as well.... I'm just trying to get
prepared for all contingencies. Are you saying Kenwood used to repair this
for free even if your warranty has expired?

Leigh W3NLB wrote in message
On 07 Sep 2003 14:41:00 GMT, "Tom Tillander"
wrote:

My Kenwood TS440S is beginning to present symptoms (frequency drift and
intermittent dots in the display) of PLL unlock. Service Bulletins at
Kenwood.net suggest that replacing a fist full of diodes with new diodes

of
any of these types : 1S2588,1SS91S, BA282 will cure the problem.
Additionally, I have heard that 1S1587 diodes can be used. However, I

have
been unable to find a source for these parts that will send or sell me

just
a fist full. I haven't tracked down the manufactures of all the parts.
However, the BA282 seem to be made by Vishay.

Can any of you recommend a supplier for any of these parts? Thanks

There is a well-known problem with the VCO circuit. They applied a
coating during production which was supposed to protect the circuitry
from moisture. In fact, the coating was hygroscopic, and over time it
creates more problems than it cures.

The solution was to scrape all this gum out, replace the doides, then
apply a coating of hot-melt glue over the area to seal it. Kenwood
used to do this under warranty for all TS-440's, regardless of whether
the owner was the original purchaser or not. Don't know if they still
do.

73 de Leigh W3NLB