Old February 28th 04, 11:14 PM
Michael Black

Dick (LeadWinger) writes:
The ham magazine was 73. Would you believe that back in the 60's you
could get a life membership to 73 for $73? Would have been a good
deal until the magazine went belly up last year.

Dick - W6CCD

It was far better than that. The original price for life subscription to
73 was $37 US, chosen because it was a transposal of the two digits in
the magazine's name. Bill Turner who inhabits some of the newsgroups
and wrote many an article for the magazine, bought a life subscription
at that level, and says that yes indeed he did get it for life, with
the last issue being the last issue the magazine published.

I don't know how much the life subscription price varied over the years.
I do remember much being said about a $73 subscription in 1973.

Michael VE2BVW

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:48:39 -0500, "Edward A. Feustel"
wrote:

I believe that the founder of CQ was Wayne Green (W2NSD) who then went on to
found Byte magazine and
another ham magazine.
Ed, N5EI