Old March 23rd 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Russell King Russell King is offline

Default Turn portable radio into transmitter- can it be done?

That reminds me of the Halicrafters S22-R I had upstairs in my bedroom when
a boy.
By clipping a wire on to the IF (1.6 MHz ), I was able to listen downstairs
on a MW receiver.

Once I was staying at a holiday camp and was being kept awake by a loud
radio in the adjoining chalet.
I touched the TV aerial lead on the local oscillator of my Murphy portable
and wiped out their signal.
After a while they gave up and switched it off.

I was so pleased with myself I couldn't get off to sleep !

Taking a valve receiver as an example, I suppose the loudspeaker could be
used as a microphone
and the local oscillator amplitude modulated.
Some soldering might be required !

Russ

"Kevin J." wrote in message
oups.com...
I have more portable radios than I know what to do with and was
wondering if I could somehow convert one of them for use as an
extremely low-powered AM transmitter for use around my apartment. I
need only a range of 10 feet or so and I really don't want to buy any
sort of kit as Part-15 regulations in the US prohibit their use but do
allow homebuilt units. I had one of those toys called a Wild Planet
Radio DJ that was FCC type-approved but it got misplaced in my last
move and now my old-time radio shows are just sitting there waiting to
return to life on my antique radios.

Or, should doing that prove impractical, how hard is it to learn how
to solder? :-)