Old June 13th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
N9NEO N9NEO is offline

Default Bigger RFI threat than BPL, IBOC?

On Jun 11, 11:53 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,
"Bruce Atchison - author" wrote:

Greetings;

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. If the energy stays near the
coil, how would it interfere with HF? It would be interesting to learn more
about the science behind this research. It would be interesting to have a
shortwave radio at the lab and hear what happens.

This is a workable concept over a short distance; the shorter the
better. A practical example would be a induction stovetop where the pan
is right on the other side of a ceramic top from the induction coil.
Many people have these but a drawback is that you have to have iron,
copper or steel cookware. Glass or ceramic pots and pans won't work.

The idea is to put all the power into an induction field and not radiate
the energy to a greater distance than 1 wavelength of the operating
frequency. Energy in a local induction field does not leave the local
circuit. A local power induction field could easily cause a radio not to
function and even damage it.

This is not workable over the distance of a house. The power induction
field would have to saturate everything in the house including people.
Currents would flow in any conductor and heat it up.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Sounds fishy to me, and yes any iron in it's way is going to suffer
eddy current and Hystersis losses and heat up. Could cook some eggs
on the hood of your car on a cloudy day maybe.

I remember them telling me in school - GO BADGERS! - that in order to
have a field that was not static there had to be both H and E
components. Is it possible to have a field in the MHz range that only
has one component? either B or E? I don't think so.

B=Mu*H

NEO