Old May 29th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Skipp[_2_] Skipp[_2_] is offline

Default Modify Astron Power Supply

Hello everyone,

Regarding Astron Power Supplies, repair, retrofit, information and
modifications of the supply hardware and replacement Regulator Boards.

There are/were a number of different Astron Power Supply Regulator Board
versions made and configured. What is placed on the specific board is
related to it's capacity and type of operation. Depending on the year of
production, the size and the series the boards can and do change a bit.
Here's the url for the Repeater Builder web page,which has a lot of good
information:

http://www.repeater-builder.com/astr...ron-index.html

In some of the online yahoo groups I've mentioned some of the short
falls of the original Astron Circuit design and how I dealt with them.
Since that time I started selling replacment regulator boards with
updates and related information.

I offer a complete updated Astron Regulator board package, which is the
populated board and instruction sheet. The package also contains my
notes, information and various circuit diagrams. The price is $45 plus
the cost or US Priority Mail (about $4.35)

When your original Astron Board becomes problematic... my drop in
replacement is an updated clone of the original board with modern
improvements. Indeed Astron has included some of the mentioned
improvements onto some of their current regulator boards (but not all).
I've also addressed the fairly problematic crow-bar circuit layout and
part values to make the retrofit regulator board more stable. I've never
had one fail...

The variable supply is the same type board with part modifications to
allow adjustment of the output voltage within a practical range. The
ability to convert your specific supply to variable control is probably
more dependent on the date of mfgr of your regulator and the version of
your board. I have a list of each original Astron Regulator Board part
value based on size and the values on my replacement boards. If you've
charcoaled a part value I can supply the value information.

By Email and telephone I'm happy to help you trouble shoot your supply,
regardless of the mfgr. But my time is limited and I might not get back to
you right away so please be patient.

cheers,
skipp

skipp025 at yahoo.com
www.radiowrench.com

: Toby wrote:
: I have an Astron RS-20A, 20amp 12v fixed DC supply. I've heard that people
: have modified this model to become a variable voltage supply but have not
: found any schematics etc for this mod. Can anyone point me in the right
: direction? Thanks!