Old August 2nd 03, 05:24 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 11:11:31 +0100, Paul Burridge hath writ:
Paul Burridge wrote:

Can anyone suggest a suitable material from which to make an
ultra-flexible mobile whip antenna say about 3 to 4 feet long. I need
something that can be bent to 90 degrees at a very small radius and
still return to reasonable straightness.

Yeah, sorry chaps, I should have better defined what I meant by 'very
small radius'. I compete in radio-controlled model battles, so the
model stands to get fipped upside down from time to time in a very
bruising environment and it already has a very low ground-clearance,
so using a spring as a base mounting won't help much, I'm afraid.
We're talking about radiuses of as little as 5mm! How about the
specific grade of stainless steel in wire form that springs are made
from? I know where I can get hold of some of that....

You might try a section from a steel tape measure.
(Just don't select one of the cheap, Made-In-China plastic/mylar
ones. HI!HI!)
Additionally, try to mount the antenna in a "well" on the robot.
Even a well of 5-10 mm will help out.

HTH,
Jonesy