Old October 6th 08, 09:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser Frank Dresser is offline

Default IBOC obsolete out of the box.

"Radio Ronn" lq6dpvk02-at-sneakemail.com wrote in message

If 10 million people find HD radio, that doesn't mean 10, million new
listeners.
It means remaining radio listeners will be scattered all over the
radio dial.

Better they stay and be scattered all over the dial....than have them OFF
the dial....turning to satelite radio because they can't find a format

that
pleases them.

Why is it "better they stay"? If people like satellite radio better than
terresterial radio, what's the problem?

By the way, satellite radio isn't overtaking terresterial radio. I guess
having a hundered channels of second tier programming isn't a compelling
reason to buy another radio, at least for most people.

Oh, well.

That's right. Audiences will shrink in the upcoming years, and so will
revenue. There won't be as much money to go around, and the HD channels
will continue to be pretty much useless.

More soothsaying huh?

It's arguement. Soothsayers think things will happen just because they
think things will happen.

Didn't they say radio was toast when TV came along and stole all the good
entertainers/entertainment?

Radio, as it existed in the 30s and 40s, was toast. Most of the radio stars
and shows went to TV. Radio was becoming neglected by the networks.
However, that neglect, combined with a greatly weakened ASCAP, allowed many
stations to make money by playing recorded music, rather than being largely
programmed from New York.

What happenned Radio re-invented itself.

Good thing people didn't listen to you back then.

Is what I say all that powerful? Holy cats! But for me, it's only opinion
backed up with facts.

But how about you? I'm sure you're convinced IBOC is the wave of the
future. How much have you invested in the networks and ibiquity? Don't
forget you're retirement fund!

Frank Dresser