Old August 24th 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Phil Kane Phil Kane is offline

Default Ham WIFI?

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 00:28:01 EDT, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

And, of course, you may need to be concerned about the reactions of
other (Part 15) WiFi users, who may come after you with torches and
axes when they find that your QRO signal is preventing their laptops
from getting to any access point more than 5' away. Of course, they'll
be in the wrong, legally, but that's only a small part of the equation

About 15 years ago I was involved in an industry group called the Bay
Area Wireless Communications Alliance, made up of engineers and
manufacturers' marketing people in "Silicon Valley".

At the time the WiFi specs were just starting to be formulated, and
the consensus was that the digital spread-spectrum encoding would take
care of all interference problems. When I piped up and mentioned that
(QRO) ham radio will cause shutdown, all the digital types poo-pooed
the suggestion, while the three hams in the group just nodded their
heads in agreement.

Can they spell "Front End Overload" ? ggg
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon