Old October 23rd 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Klystron Klystron is offline

Default Entry-level class

wrote:
Klystron wrote:

A standard technique in college-level courses is to assign some
readings that will not be discussed in class. Then, you give a test that
covers the outside readings as well as the lecture content. You could
use the question pool as outside reading material and then lecture about
actual practice. Difficult questions from the pool could be covered at
the end of class as an "extra help" session.

This is an excellent idea *if* the info is readily available. Handouts
are a good idea too, as are links to specific web pages.
[...]

When I was studying for the Technician test, I made a printout of the
question pool and had it spiral bound at Kinko's (about $4).

Keep in mind that the Element 2 written test used to
be the written part of the Novice test.

I don't think that's true. Not anymore.
[...]

I was thinking back a bit farther than that. Do you have the element
breakdown for the 1970's and 1980's?

Please
understand: I am not complaining. I think that is a good situation,
especially if the intent is to draw newcomers into real-world
communications, like disaster relief and not the self-limited
exchange of beeps that the old Novice class was offered.

I disagree!
[...]
IMHO, the ideal 2007 entry-level license would offer a variety of
bands and modes.

Which brings us back to the present-day Technician license. The 10
meter segment is quite substantial and the Novice CW segments are still
there, in the event that someone actually wants them.
Is there any data about how many no-code licensees ever use Morse?
I've seen a lot of wishful thinking among the old guard, but I don't
think that it is based in fact.

--
Klystron