Old February 28th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
xpyttl xpyttl is offline

Default What makes a person become a Ham?

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message

Keep in mind that the background checks for working with children are
looking for different issues.

When I was prez of an association and coaching youth Ice Hockey, I often
had to explain that we weren't looking for violations of basic law, that
no one was going to be rejected because they had an underage drinking
offense or the like. No one is perfect. The only thing that would trigger
the thing was violations involving children.

The RACES checks might be a bit different, but I'm not sure. I'm almost
certain the Red Cross' ones are.

RACES background checks are, of course, dependent on your local emergency
manager. Most, however, a looking for pretty much the same things. In the
event of an emergency you might be deployed at a shelter or other location
where there might be vulnerable individuals. That is the same sort of thing
I would suspect one would want to know if someone were to be around
children.

But it is a good caution. Different jurisdictions can be amazingly uneven.
I know of one jurisdiction where a deputy interviews the candidate's spouse.
The concern is that the volunteer work might interfere with the home life.
So clearly, YMMV.