RadioBanter

-   -   Stupid question G5RV (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1024-stupid-question-g5rv.html)

Bob Miller January 8th 04 12:47 AM

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:04:50 -0500, Stef
wrote:

Yes, it is a very good choice, BUT by all means, you have to attach
the ladder line directly to your tuner.

Not really -- I use a coax choke balun to attach ladderline to my
tuner -- works fine for multi-band operation of my dipole.

Bob
k5qwg

Stef January 8th 04 02:33 PM

ok, you're right but the coax choke is still attached right next to
your tuner isn't it? it's not 7 or 8 ft away from it? It shouldn't be

Bob Miller January 8th 04 03:52 PM

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:33:25 -0500, Stef
wrote:

ok, you're right but the coax choke is still attached right next to
your tuner isn't it? it's not 7 or 8 ft away from it? It shouldn't be

The coax choke hangs just outside the window, so I don't have to bring
the ladderline into the shack. About 5 or 6 feet of rg-8x run inside
to the antenna tuner. The whole setup tunes a 44-ft dipole fine on 30m
thru 10M.

I'm not aware of what effect that short length of coax would have.

Bob
k5qwg

Cecil Moore January 8th 04 04:36 PM

Bob Miller wrote:
The coax choke hangs just outside the window, so I don't have to bring
the ladderline into the shack. About 5 or 6 feet of rg-8x run inside
to the antenna tuner. The whole setup tunes a 44-ft dipole fine on 30m
thru 10M.

I'm not aware of what effect that short length of coax would have.

If the SWR on that coax is not 1:1, it will transform the impedance
seen at the balun by the percentage of a wavelength that "5 or 6
feet" represent - about 7 degrees on 80m and about 57 degrees on 10m.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Bob Miller January 8th 04 11:09 PM

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:36:32 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Bob Miller wrote:
The coax choke hangs just outside the window, so I don't have to bring
the ladderline into the shack. About 5 or 6 feet of rg-8x run inside
to the antenna tuner. The whole setup tunes a 44-ft dipole fine on 30m
thru 10M.

I'm not aware of what effect that short length of coax would have.

If the SWR on that coax is not 1:1, it will transform the impedance
seen at the balun by the percentage of a wavelength that "5 or 6
feet" represent - about 7 degrees on 80m and about 57 degrees on 10m.

Thanks, Cecil. That's a good excuse to just go ahead and shorten my
balun connections.

Bob
k5qwg

Cecil Moore January 9th 04 03:19 AM

Bob Miller wrote:
Thanks, Cecil. That's a good excuse to just go ahead and shorten my
balun connections.

But Bob, how do you know those impedance transformations are
not beneficial to your matching process? :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Bob Miller January 9th 04 04:14 AM

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 21:19:01 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Bob Miller wrote:
Thanks, Cecil. That's a good excuse to just go ahead and shorten my
balun connections.

But Bob, how do you know those impedance transformations are
not beneficial to your matching process? :-)

Dammit, Cecil, I don't know :-(

So, I'll keep what I have in place (it actually works fine), but build
an alternative balun. See what happens.

Bob
k5qwg