RadioBanter

-   -   Form factor for inductances (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1029-form-factor-inductances.html)

Art Unwin KB9MZ January 7th 04 02:37 PM

Form factor for inductances

In an earlier discusion of inductances with
respect to antennas I found that when modeling inductances
for the purposes of coupling I found that breaking up a
'point' inductance such that it spread over the actual
length of an inductor not only reqired more inductance
but provided less radiation. The current per unit length
of the inductance flattened along the length whereas when
shown as a 'point' the current increased to form an apex.
This to me questions the adherence to form factors when
winding an inductance without knowing what the form factor
achieves that is desirable. Frankly it would suggest to me
that a pancake design of an inductor could emulate what was
found by modelling but what bothers me is that the pancake
design also has the apearance of a capacity hat.
Terman noted however that the pancake design can be found
in some broadcast installations which does not relieve me
from the question as to why form factors should be adhered to.
Comments
Art

Reg Edwards January 7th 04 04:28 PM

Art, what's a form factor and who's Terman.

JDer8745 January 7th 04 05:52 PM

Someone sed:

"Art, what's a form factor and who's Terman."

=====================

That's a joke Right?

Art Unwin KB9MZ January 7th 04 06:36 PM

Reg, he was a peron who also had your idea ( or maybe it was Heaviside's) of
winding coils on as large a diameter as possible until losses were a matter
of minimum return. By experimentation he came up with desirable' form
factors ' that related to number of turns wound in relationship to the form
diameter upon which the coils were wound,
Unfortunately I cannot find what his criteria was for his descisiion that a
pancake design could not meet.
I am winding a pancake coil at the present time wound
basket weave style on a wheel spoke basis using corrugated hardline with
which to experiment with respect to my antenna coupling design.,
Terman was an American academic who substantiated a lot of his work by
experimentation. Iin other words he was a do'er as well as a talker who
dealt with facts rather than supporting himself with inuendo if you get my
drift.
Cheers
Art

Yuri Blanarovich January 7th 04 09:24 PM

Someone sed:

"Art, what's a form factor and who's Terman."

=====================

That's a joke Right?

NOT!
If Reg didn't have a tea with him, he is nobody :-)

'Doc January 8th 04 04:58 AM

JDer,
This whole thing is a joke.
'Doc

Tdonaly January 8th 04 06:05 PM

Art wrote,
(snip)
By experimentation he came up with desirable' form
factors ' that related to number of turns wound in relationship to the form
diameter upon which the coils were wound,

(snip)

What! He didn't use the calculus of variations? What kind of an
academic was he? I've got a question for you, Art. How would
you set up an experiment that would solve the brachystochrone
problem? Or, if that's too hard, how would you set up an
experiment to tell you which, of all plane figures of equal
perimeters, would give you the most enclosed area?
After you've told me that, then you can tell me how I can
set up an experiment that will tell me what coil configuration
I can use that will give me the most inductance with the least
amount of loss.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Richard Clark January 8th 04 08:55 PM

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 15:01:15 -0500, "w4jle" W4JLE(remove this to
wrote:

Using a genetic algorithm to derive a fractal coil?

It might end up as an IUD. Patent pending, all rights reserved. Any
further discussion constitutes a violation of Intellectual Property.
This thread is closed. ;-)