RadioBanter

-   -   Yagi efficiency (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/105045-yagi-efficiency.html)

art September 22nd 06 01:05 AM

Yagi efficiency

When one looks at a.radiating array pattern one can see that the yagi
is very inefficient. Does anybody know of the relative volume
contained in the main radiation lobe versus the total volume of the
entire
pattern? I know there are a lot of different type antenna gains and
arrangement but I am trying to determine in an informal way the
efficiency
ratio and compare it to what would appear to be a very efficient
antenna
such as a dish. A casual look at a yagi radiation pattern would suggest

that it is less than 50% efficient at best especially when considering
DX work
where even the main lobe is less than 50% efficient when looking at
available
signal paths beyond 4000 miles which are somewhat below 12 degrees and
where the main lobe itself is centered between 13 and 14 degrees with
an
average amateur antennah
Art

Cecil Moore September 22nd 06 01:20 AM

Yagi efficiency

art wrote:
When one looks at a.radiating array pattern one can see that the yagi
is very inefficient.

Please define "efficiency".
--
73, Cecil, http://www.w5dxp.com

Owen Duffy September 22nd 06 01:38 AM

Yagi efficiency

On 21 Sep 2006 17:05:44 -0700, "art" wrote:

When one looks at a.radiating array pattern one can see that the yagi
is very inefficient.

Art, this suggests that you have an unconventional view of the meaning
of the term "efficiency", perhaps you should elaborate.

Owen

Tom Ring September 22nd 06 01:51 AM

Yagi efficiency

art wrote:

When one looks at a.radiating array pattern one can see that the yagi
is very inefficient. Does anybody know of the relative volume
Art

Art

Yagis, when made of almost anything but something like nichrome wire,
are very efficient. Aluminum element yagis run in the high 90's of
percent efficiency when properly designed.

My bet is that you aren't speaking of efficiency at all, but something
you don't know the words to express. Try to explain what you mean, and
this group may be able to help you.

tom
K0TAR

art September 22nd 06 03:09 AM

Yagi efficiency

Well this is where I am comming from, I am presently building an
antenna for this winter where I will be communicating with the U.K.
Thus my major lobe needs to be robust between about 10 degtrees and 4
degrees to ensnare most of the communication. Notwithstanding that the
upper half of the major lobe serves no usefull purpose to what the
antenna is required for there is a mass of radiation in many directions
and levels that have no connection to the required purpose of the
antenna, thus we have a lot of wasted radiation that if we harness it
so that it is used for the antennas primary use the efficiency of the
antenna would increase immensly. So to the question, accepting that the
major lobe is required in its entirety for the antennas required use I
feel that less than 50% of available radiation is used for the antennas
design usage and that also includes the upper lobe as not being a
positive contributor
However I have no real figures to hang my hat on........ O.K.?
Art

art September 22nd 06 03:19 AM

Yagi efficiency

Tom Ring wrote:
art wrote:

When one looks at a.radiating array pattern one can see that the yagi
is very inefficient. Does anybody know of the relative volume
Art

Art

Yagis, when made of almost anything but something like nichrome wire,
are very efficient. Aluminum element yagis run in the high 90's of
percent efficiency when properly designed.

Hmmmmm I would question your logic on that figure. since I am not aware
of the normal ratio between actual resistance versus radiation
resistance which would point to
the manufacture of radiation energy relative to the total energy input
however my question relates to the efficient radiation to the
requirement at hand
Art

tom
K0TAR

Richard Clark September 22nd 06 03:47 AM

Yagi efficiency

On 21 Sep 2006 19:09:38 -0700, "art" wrote:

Notwithstanding that the
upper half of the major lobe serves no usefull purpose to what the
antenna is required for there is a mass of radiation in many directions
and levels that have no connection to the required purpose of the
antenna, thus we have a lot of wasted radiation that if we harness it
so that it is used for the antennas primary use the efficiency of the
antenna would increase immensly.

Hi Art,

The classic solution is to stack yagis vertically. This draws down
the higher radiation lobes and puts their gain in the forward
direction.

However, unless you can positively insure that higher radiation does
not actually find its way to the target (you need a propagation
modeler to prove that, by the way), then you could be muffling
yourself at one elevation to yell at another elevation that is only
heard in points remote from the target.

In other words, if you suppress the lobe at 20 degrees to optimize the
lobe at 10 degrees, you may miss your target altogether. Given that
skip works on so many variables, an "efficient" antenna may be wholly
useless.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

art September 22nd 06 04:16 AM

Yagi efficiency

Richard Clark wrote:
On 21 Sep 2006 19:09:38 -0700, "art" wrote:

Notwithstanding that the
upper half of the major lobe serves no usefull purpose to what the
antenna is required for there is a mass of radiation in many directions
and levels that have no connection to the required purpose of the
antenna, thus we have a lot of wasted radiation that if we harness it
so that it is used for the antennas primary use the efficiency of the
antenna would increase immensly.

Hi Art,

The classic solution is to stack yagis vertically. This draws down
the higher radiation lobes and puts their gain in the forward
direction.

Well you are getting closer to the question at hand. You have now
doubled the
power input but only slightly gained directionality(2db) efficiency I
would also suspect that you have flattened the lower lobe only into a
pancake shape. But again I go back to the desirable radiation which can
be said in this case to be the lower half of the major lobes half power
envelope which for a directional radiated array is very small compared
to the total radiated field.True propagation can play games but the
ARRL
give the average arrival angles over a 11 year period so it is not a
hopeless task to get a ball park figure regarding usefull radiation
knowing where the target is
I suppose I could make a model and slice out the half power lobe
portion and compare the two volumes for myself, I just thought that it
had already been looked at
Oh well back to the drawing board
Art

Owen Duffy September 22nd 06 05:18 AM

Yagi efficiency

On 21 Sep 2006 19:19:52 -0700, "art" wrote:

Tom Ring wrote:
art wrote:

When one looks at a.radiating array pattern one can see that the yagi
is very inefficient. Does anybody know of the relative volume
Art

Art

Yagis, when made of almost anything but something like nichrome wire,
are very efficient. Aluminum element yagis run in the high 90's of
percent efficiency when properly designed.

Hmmmmm I would question your logic on that figure. since I am not aware
of the normal ratio between actual resistance versus radiation
resistance which would point to
the manufacture of radiation energy relative to the total energy input
however my question relates to the efficient radiation to the
requirement at hand
Art

Art, from Wikipedia and me, some definition that might help you
express your problem in conventional terms:

Directivity is a property of the radiation pattern produced by an
antenna. It is defined as the ratio of the power radiated in a given
direction to the average of the power radiated in all directions.

Gain is the product of the efficiency of the antenna and the
directivity.

Efficiency is the ratio of total power radiated to power into the
antenna.

Efficiency of practical Yagis is very high as Tom has told you. Loaded
/ trapped Yagis are not so efficient due partly to losses in the
with shortened antennas.

It is quite wrong to say in general "that the yagi is very
inefficient".

You seem to be talking HF, the azimuth beamwidth of most practical HF
Yagis is so large that you are unlikely to notice much difference in
gain within 3 deg of boresight, so on a fixed heading you would expect
to cover the 10 deg to 4 deg target area comfortably with little
variation in gain.

If you want to maximise the transmitted signal for that specific path,
you should minimise losses (eg avoid lossy traps and coils, feed
system losses etc), increase directivity (more elements, better
design), pay attention to the desired path elevation (eg mounting
height of the antenna).

Owen

Richard Clark September 22nd 06 06:37 AM

Yagi efficiency

On 21 Sep 2006 20:16:31 -0700, "art" wrote:

give the average arrival angles over a 11 year period so it is not a
hopeless task to get a ball park figure regarding usefull radiation
knowing where the target is

Hi Art,

It is instructive for others to consider, so I shall proceed with very
few of those variables considered (we can see you offer nothing in the
way of time of year, time of day, frequency, Sun spot count, and so
on):

20M 0000 UT Spring 5-7 deg

20M 0000 UT Summer 4 deg

20M 0000 UT Fall 6-8 deg

20M 0000 UT Winter 7 deg

20M 1200 UT Spring 3 deg

20M 1200 UT Summer 2-10 deg (depending)

20M 1200 UT Fall 2-3 deg

20M 1200 UT Winter 4-6 deg

40M 0000 UT Spring 10 deg

40M 0000 UT Summer 8-12 deg

40M 0000 UT Fall 3-12 deg (depending)

40M 0000 UT Winter 3 deg

The numbers above say absolutely nothing about the probability of
making a contact.

If you stacked 4 to 8 yagis as high as 4 wavelengths, you might find
something "efficient."

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC